Monday, June 30, 2008

1 Corinthians 10

I believe the cloud Paul is referring to here is the cloud of God's glory that led the people of Israel on their journey through the desert. God led them as a cloud by day and as a pillar of fire by night. Paul compares their following God and the call we have received to follow where God leads. Just as it was for the Israelites, this call is not always easy, or clear, but Paul encourages us to learn from their bad example and not lose heart or grumble and complain as we follow. Great advice!

Verse 13 is often misquoted and misused. I am sure you have heard people say "Well, God will never give us more than we can handle..." We often nod and agree, but the text does not actually say just that. The text as I read it talks about temptation, and it seems to indicate that God does allow us greater burdens than we can bear ALONE! Read these verses a bit more carefully this time, "So if you think you are standing, watch out that you do not fall. No testing has overtaken you that is not common to everyone. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tested beyond your strength, but with the testing he will also provide the way out so that you may be able to endure it." 1 Cor. 10:12-13 NRSV. It seems to me the promise is that in our great testing - that is bound to come - when we are in beyond our own capacity God will make a way for us, God will intervene and carry us if necessary. For me the verse speaks not about my strength to endure, but about God's faithfulness to come to our aide and be our provider!

I love the illustration and the words Paul uses around communion. It causes me to ask myself who I am in communion with. Am I in communion with the body of Christ - in Fellowship with the Sovereign Creator of all things, or am I communing with idols and eating at the table of the world? Lord, help me to discern your invitation to commune with you moment by moment, let me walk with you.

3 comments:

Marshall Bailey said...

Yeha - that Cloud was a little surprising as I was reading it. Thanks for the clarity. That example really does say a lot about what happens when we complain or don't trust in God - Nothing good, that's for sure. They made the mistake so we can learn.
I have also heard many people say that "God will not give them more than they can handle," but the truth is, we can't handle much alone. He's there when we need him, but we need to seek him. Do we always? No. Those times things don't often work out. I'm trying my best to put these wedding plans into God's hands so that everything works out, and it really seems that he has shown us that things aren't as hard as they seem. That to-do list is going down a lot faster than I thought it would, but then again, the days are coming faster also! haha.
Let us continue to seek God, instead of stressing over what we think we are incapable of!
Communion is very special, and I remember clearly the time that you gave it to us at Camp as a staff (2006). We had such a great experience, and we were so focused on Jesus that the communion was so real. We were focused on what it truely was, not just a "quick snack" or a "necessary ritual." When you focus on Jesus, the communion is something amazing, truly unbelievable. Thanks for that experience, Bill.
SOON!
Marshall

Pastor Bill said...

Hey Marshall,

Thanks for your faithfulness - here and in your journey.

I love communion. I try not to let it deteriorate into "fast food", but I need to be reminded too.

I am excited for you two!

Bill

Beth Quick said...

Of all the themes in the bible, I think we tend to skim over the recurring theme of idolatry. Because we don't have statues to other gods, I think we see ourselves as safe from idolatry. It is just that our idolatry takes on perhaps more subtle forms today. But anything that we put before God is idolatry. Paul really emphasizes that cross-the-Bible struggle. Paul keeps a good rule - what you do, however you decide what is right to do, do for God's glory.