Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Acts 25

Saul of Tarsus had a dream as young boy to impact Israel. Now, he is having an impact on the entire known world.

Paul, having been imprisoned in Caesarea and left there by Felix when he departed, is now being examined by Festus. Paul makes an appeal to be tried by the Emperor, which is his right as a Roman citizen. Festus agrees to Paul's request and holds him to be sent to Rome for trial.

In the mean time, King Agrippa and his sister Bernice arrive in Caesarea to welcome Festus to his new post. Agrippa asks to see and hear Paul, and the next day Paul is brought before him to make his case. Agrippa had a reputation for favoring the Jews and their faith. This audience will give Paul an opportunity to turn Agrippa's heart towards Christ.

Who have you found favor with? Has the Lord provided you with an opportunity - perhaps even an inconvenient one - to speak the Gospel truth on God's behalf? Don't miss the opportunities that God provides to tell the Good News today!

3 comments:

Beth Quick said...

Hm. So much for the right to a speedy trial :) This whole trial scene is turning out to be quite a page turner! (Yes, it's been a long time since I've read through Acts, I admit.) I might even have to read ahead!

Pastor Bill said...

Beth,

Thanks for reading along and writing your insights! I missed a few days here and there and so my faithful few have dropped off a bit - but you came to the rescue!

Bill

Marshall Bailey said...

Oh man - I think I'm one of the "faithful few that dropped off" - that's not good! I'm RUNNING ahead though!
These court case chapters are really page turners - even this chapter ended with Paul about to Speak. It's like a "to be continued..."
I think it's awesome that when it speaks of the Jews coming before the court in verse 7, it says that they brought many things against Paul, None of which they could prove! How about that. They're accusing him, but for what? Can you imagine ANYONE going into a court case today with something they can't prove? It would be truly embarrassing!
In Verse 19, I had trouble stomaching when the court called my Jesus, "a dead man named Jesus who Paul claimed was alive. They have it all wrong - there's no claim. The dude rose from the Dead! See any of Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, the beginning of Acts, etc. Silly Festus.
I certainly do hope that I make the most of every opportunity. It's great to know that Jesus offers these to us - and I'm sure I've missed many in my time. However, salvation is real, and so is the end of the age. Jesus has a love that overcomes it all.
Paul knew it, can't you tell?
LoveMarsh