Tuesday, June 17, 2008

1 Corinthians

We will now turn our attention to Paul's first letter (or at least the first one we have!) to the church in Corinth. I suppose I should have started out yesterday by giving you your weeks reading assignments, but here they are now! Monday - Acts 28, Tuesday - 1 Corinthians 1, Wednesday - 1 Cor. 2, Thursday - 1 Cor. 3, and Friday - 1 Cor. 4.

Paul begins his letter to the church in Corinth with his standard form. He begins by identifying himself, the recipient of the letter, offering them his salutation, "Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ." 1Cor. 1:3 NRSV. Paul most often gives thanks for the faithfulness of the fellowship he is writing to and sometimes names specific people that he has relationship with.

Paul addresses divisions in the fellowship, it seems some have been expressing allegiances to different evangelists and preachers. Paul wants nothing to do with this behavior! I have seen this often in the churches I have pastored. Charles Stanley wrote a cute little poem about our tendency to think the grass is greener in another pasture or under another pastor. He wrote, "To live above, with the saints we love, now that will be grace and glory! But to live below, with the saints we know is quite another story!"

The following verses put our calling into perspective for me, "But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong; God chose what is low and despised in the world, things that are not, to reduce to nothing things that are, so that no one might boast in the presence of God." 1 Cor. 1:27-29 NRSV. It is not about me or my gifts, it is all about what God will do with me. When I realize this fully and lean into the grace that is all around me, my life seems to be "in the zone". My daily task seems to be more about finding my place in the heart of God than making things happen!

5 comments:

Sue H said...

As I read over this i hear how we pick our sides or religion..when its all about God and how much he Loves us and that Jesus came to make us whole. We should always keep our focus on the cross and what that means.. i know that like these folks i find that it is easy to fall even though i know the truth of MY JESUS. We must remember God pick us to be his somebodies not this world.

Pastor Bill said...

Good point Sue, and good to hear from you!

If I can concentrate on the Love of God - the Love of God for me and for everyone - I have lees energy or desire to focus on our differences and who is in and who is out.

Bill

Beth Quick said...

This chapter reminds me of one of Brian McLaren's arguments in The Secret Message of Jesus. He basically says that since obviously God will not respond to a violent world with a violent show of power, instead God reacts with a different power - the power of showing one's self to be weak, vulnerable, and at another's mercy. That's the power Jesus uses.

Pastor Bill said...

Hi Beth,

Absolutely. the genius of the baby in the manger instead of the "Terminator of bethlehem". I also am reminded of dad, and how broken and vulnerable he was, and at the same time an awesome force for good and love. I miss him.

Love Bill

Marshall Bailey said...

So great to start Corinthians. So many great things from Paul.
It's really cool how God uses the lowly to speak to others. He uses me to be a disciple and I know it. He takes my life and hopes that I'll use it for his will.
Sue - You're right. Jesus is the truth and we need to remain focused. It's too bad we have to focus so much on other things when the truth is that JESUS has given us all we have and all we'll ever have or need. How can we think about anything else?
Bill - 5 weeks from today 'til the wedding. Miss seeing you too. I've been a few days behind for a while now, but I've made every post! I'm hoping to be up to date after this weekend.
God bless all!
Marshall