Monday, June 2, 2008

Acts 18

This week we will continue our exciting journey through the Book of Acts. Please read along with us; Monday - Acts 18, Tuesday - Acts 19, Wednesday - Acts 20, Thursday - Acts 21, and Friday - Acts 22.

In Corinth Paul meets Aquila and his wife Priscilla. They are important supporters in Paul's ministry, and they employ him in his trade of making tents. Paul self-supports his ministry and even today a pastor that works to pay the bills while engaged in ministry is said to have a "tent making ministry". There are interesting pros and cons of this approach to ministry, and part of me has always longed for this type of ministry setting. Perhaps sometime down the road I will be involved in a church planting situation where I work to pay the bills and the ministry is spread over a larger group of people.

Paul's resolve is very evident again as he ministers against incredible odds. As I read I am also impressed by the very intimate relationship Paul has with Holy Spirit. Perhaps this is the ingredient that is missing in most ministries - in my ministry - that prevents me from daring great things and enduring great disappointment.

Apollos is introduced here and he is a brilliant preacher who has not yet heard of Holy Spirits unction. Priscilla and Aquila take him aside and instruct him on some of the things of God and he receives them with gladness. The disciples encourage him on his way, sending letters of introduction with him to the saints. His ministry is powerful as he introduces Jesus as Messiah to the Jews in that area.

If any of us would walk in this kind of light, we must cultivate and tend our relationship with God as expressed in Holy Spirit. Lord, open e to this fellowship and pour out Holy Spirit on my congregation and the people called United Methodist again lest we become the dead letter Wesley feared. Start with me is you will.

3 comments:

mw said...

PB - what was the vow that Paul made, causing him to cut his hair?

Beth Quick said...

Uncle Bill, I have to say that I have never longed for "tent making ministry" myself! It sounds exhausting. Paul must have felt relieved to stay in a place for 18 months, what seems to have been a long time for him to be settled somewhere. Makes our appointment lengths these days seem downright eternal, no?

Marshall Bailey said...

Interesting concepts here. It seems if everyone was "sharing their belongings" and what not, as in Acts 2, we wouldn't need a tent-making ministry. You know, it really does stink to have to "beg" for money to do ministry, but gosh, it should be a given. Let me tell you, as a Young Life Leader, I am completely volunteer, and have to work to make due for my car, gas, insurance, and now getting married (so everything else, haha). Working does indeed make my ministry suffer. Between school and work, I have less time for the kids who need Jesus, and I struggle with that a lot. I love what you do, Bill...and what I see others who are in full-time ministry positions do. You can tell that it does help to not have that other job.
For example, my brother used to be a volunteer as I am now, while he was in College. Now, it's his job, and although he now has to do some administrative duties also, he is 10 times better as a YL leader. Praise God for this ability. I'd love to retire some day and be in full-time no pay ministry - maybe as a teacher I'll have this opportunity in the summers, eh?
Yeah, what's with that hair thing anyway?
One more thing - to rant again - this Paul guy, as with the other disciples, really gets around! We are complaining so much about our fuel expenses, but we are rarely willing to even walk a mile. Obviously, humans are capable - since this dude went all over the place to preach and stuff. Maybe it's our culture and our crazy time constraints that have made us rely so heavily on cars...
Wouldn't our ministry be quite different if we had to walk to do it?
God bless,
Marshall Bailey
PS. BILL, you're amazing. Praise God for having you in my life.