Friday, June 13, 2008

Acts 27

Luke is a gifted story teller! As I read chapter 27 again I was caught up in the sea air and the fear of the crew. Paul speaks prophetically about their life situation and brings them courage in the face of a dire situation. His arrogance shows through a bit when he adds - "Men, you should have listened to me and not have set sail from Crete and thereby avoided this damage and loss. I urge you now to keep up your courage, for there will be no loss of life among you, but only of the ship. For last night there stood by me an angel of the God to whom I belong and whom I worship, and he said, 'Do not be afraid, Paul; you must stand before the emperor; and indeed, God has granted safety to all those who are sailing with you.' So keep up your courage, men, for I have faith in God that it will be exactly as I have been told. But we will have to run aground on some island." Acts 27:21-26 NRSV. I also see his breaking bread a s a communion moment for the 276 people fighting for their lives!

Eventually they all arrive safely ashore - shipwrecked but alive. Paul has gained favor in the eyes of the Centurion, and now the rest of those sailing with him must realize that he is a person of God!

How has God placed you in positions of favor for the Kingdom's service? Are there situations and relationships that God has developed in you that can bring the lost to the cross? I would encourage you not to be manipulative or self serving in these places, but do not be afraid to speak the truth in love! God may have brought you to this place for just this day and season!

2 comments:

Beth Quick said...

I can see how caught up in telling the story Luke is, given that he bounces back and forth between they and we with such great rapidity in this chapter. It must be hard for him to remain an objective author!

How many passes from pending death does this make for Paul?

Marshall Bailey said...

What a wild story and a wild storm. I guess this is what may have happened to those early disciples if Jesus hadn't been on the boat to calm the storm. For some reason, I thought that was going to happen in this chapter. Even though it doesn't, it seems pretty powerful that they all ate the food and knew they would survive, and all survived despite a ship wreck. Sure puts Paul's God (our God!) in a good position. Betcha he had something to do with this whole thing also...
I always think of my blessings as a "position of favor for the Kingdom's service." Many kids think I have a "perfect" or "easy" life, and through this I am able to explain to them the power of God. He's worked through me in MANY ways. It also helps that he's blessed me with an incredible wife-to-be. Kids love that story too!
Anyway - So glad to see Paul alive again!
Marsh