Monday, June 16, 2008

Acts 28

When I come to the end of a book that I have enjoyed I often feel like I am saying good-bye to a friend. I sometimes put off reading the last pages because I know that I am moving through the end of a relationship of sorts, and I hate to see the end. This has been my experience with the book of Acts. I have enjoyed the adventure, and Luke's excitement, and Paul's journey, and the early church stretching to extend love to those they didn't really want to love - but they did it!

In this last chapter we experience the beech after a ship wreck. Paul is bitten by a poisonous snake, and shakes it off. Later, he prays for the sick father of one of the leading citizens and the man recovers. Soon all of the sick and oppressed of the island are coming for healing! When it is time to leave, the locals provide for the needs of the travelers (all 276 of them!) and send them back on their way to Rome.

Once in Rome Paul finds a gentler imprisonment and he is visited by believers from all around the area. Paul had written to the believers in Rome looking to convey his theology, and to raise support for the next leg of his journey into Spain.

Paul meets with the Jewish authorities and explains to them at length his life story and his faith. Interestingly, they have no preconceived ideas or information about Paul. Paul seems fed up with the religious leaders as he closes his appeals to them with a rather scathing indictment, "The Holy Spirit was right in saying to your ancestors through the prophet Isaiah, 'Go to this people and say, You will indeed listen, but never understand, and you will indeed look, but never perceive. For this people's heart has grown dull, and their ears are hard of hearing, and they have shut their eyes; so that they might not look with their eyes, and listen with their ears, and understand with their heart and turn-- and I would heal them.' Let it be known to you then that this salvation of God has been sent to the Gentiles; they will listen." Acts 28:25-28 NRSV. It is hard when the audience that should receive our message with gladness reject the gospel and our leadership. I have sometimes looked back on ministry and wondered what might have been accomplished if the power brokers of the church had thrown in behind my leadership. The ministry goes forward, but often by folks the Spirit draws in from "outside".

Acts closes on a placid, I think misleading note. "He lived there two whole years at his own expense and welcomed all who came to him, proclaiming the kingdom of God and teaching about the Lord Jesus Christ with all boldness and without hindrance." Acts 28:29-31 NRSV. This sounds a bit like "and they all lived happily ever after...." While details are sketchy it has been the tradition and teaching of the church history that Paul was martyred in 64 or 65 AD just outside of Rome. He was beheaded, I have read, because as a Roman citizen they could not crucify him as they did our Lord. In one source I even read a proposed date of February 22nd! Whatever the date, Paul lived faithfully as an apostle and pioneer of the early church. He died a martyrs death in this world, and walked into the Kingdom. I'll close this with a quote from Paul's own pen, "As for me, I am already being poured out as a libation, and the time of my departure has come. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. From now on there is reserved for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will give me on that day, and not only to me but also to all who have longed for his appearing." 2 Timothy 4:6-8 NRSV.

5 comments:

Beth Quick said...

It does all wrap up sort of nicely as far as Acts' account of things, doesn't it? I find it interesting after so many people were trying to get Paul killed, he finally ends up in a place where people don't seem to know what the fuss is all about and he's able to live relatively freely, doing his work "with boldness" and "without hindrance." I would like both of those things for my ministry as well ;)

Marshall Bailey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marshall Bailey said...

Bill, I agree with you about Acts. It has been really awesome to go through it with you. From the HE IS ALIVE of Acts 1, to the Fellowship of the believers, to Paul's conversion and then his journey of faith - amazing things have happened in the name of the Lord, and it's uplifting as a Christian to read!
It's pretty awesome that he was able to heal the old man and so many others on that island. That's certainly a great way to meet new friends in a new place. Also, I'm sure the people he came with had more respect for him after this, in conjunction with his seeming immunity to the snake!
When he gets to Rome, it says that they didn't have any thoughts about what he had to say prior to what he told them. Does that ever happen with our faith now? It seems to be so controversial through schools, the media, the government, word of mouth, etc., that it really is hard to find people who have NO preconceived notion of the faith whatsoever... Everyone has some kind of thoughts on it it seems. Bill, have you seen any people like that in your various journeys? I don't get out much, that might be half the problem...haha
Although it was really nice to know that Paul was finally in a place that he could preach without as much persecution as he had been experiencing ("freely" it said), I was kind of wondering why it seemed like such an anti-climactic way to end such an incredible journey. Guess they wanted a happy ending to Acts? Will we ever REALLY know what Luke was thinking? :-P
I love that 2 Tim verse, Bill, and I'm glad you could relate it to the end of Acts. Guess that's why you're a pastor. I hope that maybe someday we can look at that verse and really see it in our lives. What an honor and a privileged to serve our Lord.
It's been fun with Acts! Thanks for all the great posts. See you in Corinth!

Pastor Bill said...

Hey Beth,

It is hard for me to remember the difficulty these folks had in travel and communication. Even in Uganda last fall folks in the jungle often had no electricity, but they had cell phones! If the people in Jerusalem that hated Paul had been able to pick up a phone, or even send a reliable letter, it may have been a different story here.

I second the call fo ministry without hinderance and with boldness. Lord, help us!

Bill

Pastor Bill said...

Hi Marshall - Long time no see! i bet finals and weddings have a bot to do with that ehhh?

I guess I have not run in to many who have never heard of the gospel, but I run into people every day who are misinformed - many of them in the pews! Some don't have good informaton, and they don't want to know. This breaks my heart, and requires me to pray and love them and try to serve them. hard stuff for a sinful man, but character stuff on the journey.

I hope to see you soon friend. How many days left before the wedding?

Bill