Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Acts 24

Chapter 24 begins in a courtroom like setting. Ananias and some of the elders have come form Jerusalem to Caesarea and they bring a lawyer - Terullus with them. In my understanding the lawyer was likely a Pharisee. If Tertullus was a Pharisee it is hard to believe that he did not know Saul of Tarsus, our Apostle Paul. This may have been a clash of titans in the Pharisaic circles.

Tertullis begins with a opening statement and Paul follows with a brief defense. The courtroom debate I would have hoped for doesn't develop - at least not in the record here, as Felix steps in and ends the session by remanding Paul to custody until Lysias the tribune comes to town. Paul is in prison again, but this time it seems to be a liberal open setting where his friends can care for his needs.

Later, Felix and his wife Drusilla arrive in Caesarea and send to hear Paul. Paul speaks boldly to them about justice, self-control and the coming judgement. It seems that Paul's presentation convicted Felix' heart, as he becomes frightened and sends Paul away. he hears Paul often, but we do not hear of a salvation decision for Felix. I wonder how often I hear the truth of the Gospel, the inconvenient truth about sin and righteousness and send it away instead of embracing the truth. We live among people that are in need of the two things Christ offers - truth and love. I fear we often give one or the other. Either we offer only truth and become Pharisees, or we offer only love and degenerate into a sloppy agape type of liberty. I think we all need the truth spoken and presented in love to move us toward godliness and wholeness. Lord, start here in me.

3 comments:

Beth Quick said...

In verse 26, am I reading correctly that Felix was sort of hoping Paul would offer him a bribe for freedom? The dynamic between Felix and Paul is interesting - somewhat the same kind of curiosity in Felix that we see a bit of in Pilate with Jesus. If time had been different, I could see Pilate wanting the same sort of conversations with Jesus.

Pastor Bill said...

Yes, I see that too. Pilate and Felix - and Agrippa coming up in a chapter or two seem almost victims of the systems they represent. Another interesting thing to consider as we navigate our systems!

Bill

Marshall Bailey said...

Paul gets to preach to the dude that's in charge of his "fate." That's pretty awesome. I need faith in my life, and so I have it. Some people hear about faith and reject it - are they crazy? How can you hear about such an important decision - salvation - and reject it? Wouldn't you be a little afraid of the pits of Hell? I bet a lot of people believe just so they don't have to "take the chance." I see Felix as that kind of believer - wouldn't want to be like Pilate again, right?
Bill, you're right. We do need to hear the truth about our faith. We need to hear about the love that is offered, but also the rigor that comes along with being a Christian We need more than to just be Christians, we need to be MOVED by our faith, and that is when we become more like Paul, and more like the disciples Jesus wants us to be. Who's with me? :-)
LoveMarsh