Thursday, June 26, 2008

1 Corinthians 8

As Paul begins chapter 8 speaking of "knowledge" I believe he is referencing a common heresy of the early church known as the Gnostic heresy. The Gnostic's or "Knowers" believed they had a secret revelation from God that set them apart from and above other believers. They had their own rituals and traditions and were a real problem for the early believers. As an aside, we have our own version of this heresy alive and well and moving within and outside our churches.

Paul addresses the eating of food sacrificed to idols here. This was a faith question for many of the early church and Paul addresses it brilliantly here. Food sacrificed to idols would often be resold in the market at reduced prices. The question on the hearts of many was whether or not this food sacrificed to an idol was spiritually tainted. Paul answers that since there is only one true God the other gods do not exist and so in our freedom we can eat whatever we want. BUT Paul continues he will abstain from eating this meat if it causes another believer to stumble in their faith.

This chapter caused me to ask myself "Where does my liberty cause others to struggle?" I wonder if my sense of humor is sometimes a burden to others. i will pray about that and hope God will curb my tongue and keep me from coarse and inappropriate talk. are their areas of your life where your freedom may be a burden to others? Lord, help us not cause our brothers and sisters to stumble.

4 comments:

Marshall Bailey said...

Yeah - I thought a lot about these verses. Eating is huge in my life - but I know that me wanting to eat all the time probably makes other people eat more. I cook something up late at night, and create a craving for my mother. Sara says that when she's around me she doesn't eat as well. Maybe I'm the problem...hmm. :-P. I never really thought about trying to eat the foods sacrificed to idols - but it's great to hear Paul say that it's not such a bad idea to eat it, since God has put it there for us and he is the only true God. Seems like a waste if nothing happened with it, but I guess that's why the person who gave it up sacrificed it. Would it kind of be like taking from the plate of money at their church (the non-ourGod church that they're sacrificing to that is).
I wonder what in my life causes others to stumble. I love your sense of humor, Bill, and I don't think that's one of those things. I know that I need to listen more, and maybe that's something that I could work on. Sometimes talking can be a good thing, but it can certainly cause people to be more silent also...
I'll keep praying for Him to show me the way.
25!
Marshall
P.S. I'm still trying to figure out what to do about this whole honeymoon w/out Blog thing. I don't know if Sara will let me bring a laptop....haha. You can BET we'll still be reading along with you guys though!

Pastor Bill said...

Hey Marshall,

I know your teasing about the "honeymoon without blog thing", but on a serious old guy to young guy note - take those precious first few days, weeks whatever to focus on your bride and make sure she knows she's number one (right behind God of course). Relax, laugh and continue the great building process you and Sara have already begun as friends!

Bill

Marshall Bailey said...

Oh, thanks, Bill. You know we'll have a great time, but we will definitely be following along in the reading - that's a must. Everyone should take their Bible on their honeymoon.
Thanks for the advice, bud. Can't wait!
23!
Marsh

Beth Quick said...

A passage why this is why I choose to hardly ever have something alcoholic to drink. Once in a while maybe, because I don't think alcohol in itself is wrong - but usually not, because I think it can be such a stumbling block to others...