Thursday, June 5, 2008

Acts 21

Luke gives us a detailed look at Paul's journey towards Jerusalem. Notice as you read that at almost every stop, the saints prophesy and speak in the Spirit warnings against going to Jerusalem. Paul acknowledges the danger - even the likelihood of death awaiting him there, but he refuses to turn aside from the appointment he has made with Holy Spirit for Jerusalem.

Once in Jerusalem Paul goes first to see James. Ya‘aqov as his name was in Hebrew, or James as we call him was the brother of Jesus. He has taken a seat of prominence in the early church and Paul goes directly to him to confer when he arrives. After Paul relates all that the Lord has been doing through his ministry, the elders tell him that although he has great fruit among the Gentiles his credentials are suspect among the Jews. They encourage him to make amends with the Jews by keeping a Jewish rite of purification with 4 men who had already set aside this time for that purpose, and to finance the other 4 men as a sign of his piety. Much to my surprise, Paul agrees to this.

When Paul goes to the Temple to keep this vow, the Jews rise up in anger against him. They are beating him and trying to kill him when the Roman tribune and soldiers come to his rescue. When the soldiers calm the crowd Paul asks permission to speak to the crowd in his own defense as chapter 21 closes.

I admire Paul's obedience to the voice and call of God as he comes to the Temple knowing he may be killed. He did not hide behind the many calls from Godly friends to turn away, but answered only the call of God! When do I let well meaning Christian brothers and sisters dissuade me from the hard tasks that God lays before me? Whose voice calls loudest in your life?

2 comments:

Beth Quick said...

I was surprised too that Paul agreed to the purification rite without protest.

As they try to dissuade Paul from going to Jerusalem, I think about sharing with some of my congregants in Oneida about feeling like I wasn't doing what God was asking me to do sometimes - and their response was mostly to say that I was too hard on myself and doing enough. It was sweet of them, but also let both me and them off the hook, you know? The harder task is probably to hold one another accountable. I find that hard both to do and to receive from others! But that's what Paul was asking for in a sense, I think, to be encouraged to do what he knew God was calling him to do.

Marshall Bailey said...

Another great chapter. It's interesting that so much happens in just the first few lines, with all the traveling being noted.
I have definitely listened to other "good followers" instead of listening to God. It sure seems easier to have someone tell me that "things are different now" and "we don't do that" instead of searching in my bible and seeing that the truth is pretty clear and written down! Guess the fact is, the truth is sometimes harder than we're willing to accept.
For Paul, he was going to face great persecution, but he knew he was called back to Jerusalem for SOMETHING by God. So, instead of listening to those who knew he would be in trouble, he listened to the God of the Universe who had a better plan. Maybe he'd learned from all those years of not following God and persecuting the church, and maybe we'll learn more about why he's in Jerusalem as Chapter 21 begins.
God bless,
Marsh