Thursday, June 12, 2008

Acts 26

Paul begins his presentation to king Agrippa by recounting his earliest days of faith lived out in the midst of Jerusalem. Paul was for his culture what a LeBron James or Tiger Woods was to ours. LeBron James and Tiger Woods were child prodigies in the sports of basketball and golf. Paul was a rising star among the Pharisees, and he is not exaggerating when he says, "All the Jews know my way of life from my youth, a life spent from the beginning among my own people and in Jerusalem. They have known for a long time, if they are willing to testify, that I have belonged to the strictest sect of our religion and lived as a Pharisee." Acts 26:4&5 NRSV.

Paul tells with great passion his salvation story and how he has come to be on trial before Festus and Agrippa. Festus interrupts him in his presentation and tells him he has gone insane! Paul turns from the interruption and focuses in on King Agrippa in a very aggressive probing for faith in the King! How bold Paul is as he stands in chains, the only truly free man in the discussion.

Paul has appealed to the Emperor, and so Agrippa is powerless to set him free. Agrippa tells Bernice and Festus that he would have done just that had he been able.

Lord give me wisdom, boldness, and eloquence when I have opportunity to speak on behalf of the Kingdom.

3 comments:

Beth Quick said...

I wonder if Paul regrets appealing to the emperor? I guess when he did it it was the move he had to make at the time. Festus claiming that "too much learning" is causing Paul to be crazy cracks me up. What does he mean by that? The truth is causing Paul to speak out? I just admire the way Paul always frames his speech and testimony to his audience - he really grounds what he says here as a natural response to Judaism, like the logical outgrowth of what is already believed, like they'd be silly to believe anything else.

Pastor Bill said...

I have always thought one of Paul's greatest gift to the early church was his brilliant intimate knowledge of Judaism.
In 2 Timothy 1:3 he says "I am greatful to God - whom I worship with a clear conscience, as my ancestors did..." Paul clearly sees this new expression of the faith as God's continuing revelation.

Good stuff!
Bill

Marshall Bailey said...

More trial time for Paul. It seems like he really had these guys convinced; they said they might have let him go had he not appealed to the emperor. Good job, Paul.
I thought it was interesting that as he told his salvation story this time, the story seemed to get a little longer. Jesus said more, and he said more. Maybe he's been abbreviating it in prior attempts in this book? Either way, his new additions do make the transformation he had even more powerful.
Isn't it interesting that his ancestors were Jews, while ours (for many generations) have been Christians? We are practicing what our ancestors practiced, unlike what Paul was doing. Shouldn't it be easier for us then?
hmmm
Marsh