Tuesday, July 1, 2008

1 Corinthians 11

Well, I did it again yesterday, I forgot to give you the weekly reading assignment. Thanks to those that emailed requesting that information! Here it is! Monday - 1 Cor. 10, Tuesday - 1 Cor. 11, Wednesday - 1 Cor. 12, Thursday - 1 Cor. 13, Friday - 1 Cor. 14. I also meant to say yesterday that we are crossing the half way point in our journey together through the New Testament. Half of the calendar year is gone, I have blogged over 140 entries and many of you have faithfully checked in here or by email. Thanks for making this so much fun!

I do not know how to approach chapter 11 without saying that I think Paul's pharisee is showing! Remember, Paul lived for 30+ years as the most rigorous of Pharisee's in Israel and occasionally, I think that training rises up in him.

Perhaps I am wrong, but I can not get worked up or convicted about the length of a woman's hair, or the scarf she is or isn't wearing. All of the accounts of the disciples and of course Jesus, have long hair, and Paul says here it is obvious that that is ungodly. Hmmmm. How do you handle this sort of material? I believe we need to treat it fairly and openly, but I guess I lean on Paul's words from verse 13, "Judge for yourselves..." 1 Cor. 11:13a NRSV.

Paul then launches into a correction for the church in Corinth regarding their habits around the Lord's Supper, Holy Communion. Communion it seems had become for them a less than sacred occasion where some feasted and even got drunk, and some went without! Paul recounts what he received form the Lord regarding this holy meal. "For I received from the Lord what I also handed on to you, that the Lord Jesus on the night when he was betrayed took a loaf of bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, "This is my body that is for you. Do this in remembrance of me." In the same way he took the cup also, after supper, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood. Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me." For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until he comes." 1 Cor. 11:23-26 NRSV.

Paul encourages us to take this sacrament seriously - he says that by abusing the gift of communion some had become sick and even died! What is your experience with communion? When have you felt the Lord's presence at table with you? What are your most sacred memories around this awesome gift to the church?

4 comments:

Marshall Bailey said...

What an interesting chapter, yet again. It really seems crazy when you put into perspective that Jesus had long hair and so did many others at the time - how could that possibly be not allowed at all? It's hard to say, isn't it? I've never lived as a rigorous pharisee either though, so I guess it's hard to say what I'd really think. Sometimes I have this trouble when I'm speaking to people that have been involved with a church that pushes RULES RULES RULES - and they have trouble understanding the life that I live as a Christian, and one or two minute details that may not coincide with the rules they have known...Maybe I should be more understanding if even Paul had this trouble!
It seems crazy to me that communion became such a problem so quickly - I mean they just were blessed with it a few years before. Maybe there was some kind of deal where the wine was free so they abused it? Seems crazy
I'm glad that he included those words on Communion. Those words get me every time we have comunion, as I think about Jesus saying those words to his disciples. How powerful.
The experiences I remember of having communion were that of Bill while I was on staff at Aldersgate. Very memorable - especially with so many people that we were following and preaching of Christ with.
Then, there was one night during a youth group retreat where my pastor set up the C-Lodge at Aldersgate with candles and it was so beautiful and peaceful and Holy. We ended a prayer time with communion, and I could totally feel the spirit.
I love communion, I just hope I never take the unbelievable thing that it is for granted.
Until next time, keep covering your head. :-)
24 days!
MARSh

Pastor Bill said...

Hard instructions for a bald guy Marshall - keep covering my head I mean!

Legalism and Religious attitudes seem to be the default setting for many of us. When I fail to lean into the relationship with God, I am inclined to worry about the rules and who is in and who is out.

Religion leads to frustration and death, relationship leads to fulfillment and life. Choose life!

Bill

Marshall Bailey said...

Choose life, Amen.
Your bald head makes you smarter (less hair to get through.
Sure makes you think about people worrying so much about rules, eh?
-Marsh

Beth Quick said...

"Be imitators of me, as I am of Christ." - you know you're in trouble when this is how Paul starts the chapter. Kind of - well, arrogant? I try to set a good example, but I'd still encourage others to imitate Christ directly, rather than my vain attempts!

Paul, in his hair-essay, also forgets all about the whole Nazarite sect laid out in Numbers, where the hair of a man (like Samson) wouldn't be cut. How can he just say they're wrong?