Tuesday, June 24, 2008

1 Corinthians 6

For the first 11 verses of chapter 6 Paul scolds the Christians in Corinth for not settling their differences within the context of the church family. He wonders why they would trust non believers to settle disputes between themselves. Paul finally swerves into his real question when he asks, "Why not rather be wronged? Why not rather be defrauded?" 1 Cor. 6:7b NRSV. This theme runs consistently through Paul's letter as he encourages people to take no account of their inconveniences in this life but to "stay as you are" for the end is near.

Some of Paul's theology and behavior needs to be seen through this lens to be understood. Paul did not believe the world could last much longer. If Jesus is returning tomorrow afternoon, why struggle against temporal situations if the eternal is about to break forth! For the most part, we live completely devoid of the expectation of the return of Christ. Perhaps he will come soon like a thief in the night.....

The balance of chapter 6 is spent reminding us that we are bought with a great price, and we are no longer our own property! Our bodies are the temple of the Holy Spirit, so while all things are now lawful for us we must take care not to be "mastered" by anything other than Christ. This is a timely word for me, and I will meditate today on the price that was paid for my salvation, and to whom I owe allegiance and obedience.

4 comments:

Marshall Bailey said...

Very powerful and persistent chapter.
If we REALLY thought Jesus was coming tomorrow, wouldn't we all live differently? I certainly wouldn't be pouring all this effort into these wedding plans! Not that I don't love them, but we wouldn't make it 30 days!
I think that we really should be more aware of Jesus' coming. I feel like it could happen so soon - doesn't it seem like these crazy weather things mean something sometimes? Floods, hurricanes, crazy thunderstorms. Is God saying something to His people? Will we know?
It's only human to WANT to know exactly when it will be - and I've had so many people ask me that - but we need to just be ready. Is that too much to ask?
He did pay the ultimate price for us...
This chapter is pretty clear that there are rules about what we should do as Christians, and there are limitations as to who will be allowed into Heaven. Let us focus on being the people God wants us to be - and living a life that we can be proud of.
Sounds like a plan?
Love you guys,
Marshall

Pastor Bill said...

God plan friend,

Live ready. Every generation has had ample reason to believe the time for the second coming must be upon us.

Imagine living while Hitler was killing the Jews. I know I would have had charts and graphs and I would have been preaching that he was the anti-christ. And in fact he was anti christ! The Bible says their are many anti-christ gone into the world.

I think the best we can do is live ready and invite others to live into the Kingdom while their is still light.

Love you too Marshall!

Bill

Marshall Bailey said...

Yeah - that's true! In some of these "Revelation" movies all of these anti-Christs, and it's pretty scary. I'd hope I'd be the guy with the charts and everything also.
MB

Beth Quick said...

Everything is lawful, but not everything is beneficial. In high school and college, something like that helped me make a lot of decisions. I would read the bible and be unclear if something was right or wrong, but usually I could decide what I thought would be more pleasing to God - so I would use that as my measure instead - something may not be 'wrong' but may be less pleasing to God than another choice...