Wednesday, June 25, 2008

1 Corinthians 7

Paul's advice on marriage seems quite harsh at first glance. To understand this material and gain the best use of it I think it is important to remember who is writing to us. Paul was mystic and lived an austere life. His entire focus was his faith journey, and I believe Jesus and his imminent return were more real to Paul most of the time than the Roman Guards that stood guard over him.

Paul had his mind fixed on the Kingdom and all of his decisions had to pass through that filter - "Is this helpful for the Kingdom of God or not?". Unfortunately, most of us have our minds firmly fixed on earthly temporal things - myself included. When we read advice calling us to remain as slaves, or to avoid complications like romance and family, we balk and see the advice as unrealistic or too narrow.

I am interested that Paul has the integrity and wisdom to say that some of his ideas are just that, his opinion. All of the text grows out of the verse that reads, "You were bought with a price; do not become slaves of human masters." 1 Cor. 7:23 NRSV. Paul reasoned from the point of view that he was the property of the Sovereign God of all things, and that he had been bought an paid for at a great unreasonable price. Now, for Paul, strict obedience and devotion were the only reasonable response.

What is your response to the Gospel message?

4 comments:

Marshall Bailey said...

It was an interesting chapter - but it seemed nice to have him say to us that some people are cut out for marriage, although he wasn't one of them. He said that it was better to be without marriage all together, but he didn't say it was a bad idea to marry at all. It was also very clear that he said these were his ideas, so we had to take them as such. It's good to know that Paul was such a decent man and had his footing in the right place - with the God of the Universe who paid the price for his life. How incredible, eh? If only we could be as focused as Paul was as we live our lives. I want to live an "austere" life (Sara and I had to dictionary.com that one -haha, but I like it!). As the wedding comes closer, it was great to get some kind of encouragement from the bible during our regular readings...so I'm happy.
All things considered, why would we think anything but strict obedience was a good idea? He definitely was on the right track, and we should follow his lead on that one!
As far as the "is this helpful for the kingdom of God" filter - as far as I can see, God brought me to Sara (or vise versa), has allowed us to succeed in a long-distance relationship, and has deepened our faith by bringing us together. Both of us were at a much different point in our faith before we came together - and now we are changing lives together. I think that'd pass the filter then, right?
:-) Couldn't be happier.
Thanks for everything Bill,
The Marsh
Ps. 26 days!!

Pastor Bill said...

Hey Marshall,

I was wondering how this chapter would hit you 3+ weeks out from marriage. i think you are right on track. God has given you a wonderful gift in Sarah, and I believe God delights in our marriages. God did say in genesis - "It is not good for the man to be alone..." Amen. many of us need the counter balance of a Godly companion and friend. if Paul were here I am sure he'd dance at your wedding! ; ) (I am really bad at those smiley faces!)

Bill

Marshall Bailey said...

haha.
Bill - It's crazy because that verse was the one I used to ask Sara's parents if I could "have her" you know? And also the verse I used when I proposed to her almost a year ago (at Aldersgate!). Genesis 2:18. I knew it was there for a reason.
Thanks bud.
25 days!
Marsh

Beth Quick said...

That Paul is a character. With his context of feeling like the end was literally upon him, all his advice makes sense. But otherwise, not quite as much (like about the slaves for instance.) But what I like is the equal footing he gives to both men and women here - quite the progressive ;)