Friday, June 20, 2008

1 Corinthians 4

Paul speaks of the apostles as "stewards" of the mysteries of God. I like that imagery. I often consider myself as mining the storehouses of the blessings of God's Word as I write sermons. It is a great honor to be aloud to speak and write about the Word of God - to be a "steward" of God's mysteries.

I am interested in Paul's refusal to sit under any ones judgement -- not even his own! Paul must make a distinction between self discipline and judgement. When Paul speaks about the terrible plight of the apostles I am a bit embarrassed by the relative ease in which I live. These early apostles certainly were the "special forces" of the faith in some ways.

Chapter 4 ends with a very threatening word from Paul. He says that he will come to them soon to confront some who have become arrogant. Paul says he is not interested in hearing their words, but in seeing their power! "For the kingdom of God depends not on talk but on power. What would you prefer? Am I to come to you with a stick, or with love in a spirit of gentleness?" 1 Corinthians 4:20 & 21 NRSV. Paul is obviously exercising his authority to discipline the early church. Who has authority to bring correction in our churches today? Where is the power that needs to be wielded in our fellowships?

3 comments:

Marshall Bailey said...

It's interesting how it ends. Paul is telling the people he is coming back to see what they are doing - just as we know Jesus is coming back to get us some day also. We can't hide from Jesus, and he's trying to give them that same feeling maybe? It's very necessary, of course, for him to try to keep people held to a high standard, as they will be representing the religion he has become one of the "fathers" of. We should probably be held to this high standard also, eh?
As a "father," he is sure to say that he is doing the right things elsewhere, and also preaching the things that Timothy does. He must have really trusted Timothy to put him in that position.
This whole thing reminds me of things of today that don't have a past: cancer research, excessive soda consumption, cell phone usage. Just as we are unsure of the affects/practices of these things, the people Paul was preaching to must have been a little wary because of the "short" past. It's not too short, considering the link to Judaism, but considering that Jesus had just risen from the dead, it was kind of young.
We're lucky in our position, because we have people who have gone before us to refer to and who have raised us up on the Gospel. I have you Bill, et. al, and I thank God for that each day.
How different things must have been!
God bless!
30 days!
Marsh

Pastor Bill said...

Very insightful Marshall - true that this new sect was not a safe bet for those weighing the political waters. And from what they did experience Christianity must have seemed like a loser! Jesus - martytred, Paul - martyred, Lames, Stephen, Peter, etc. etc - martyred. It's a real God thing that we survived as a fellowship!

30 days - my my my!

Bill

Beth Quick said...

I was also struck by verses 20 and 21. Paul drives me a little crazy with his tone of voice sometimes. A chapter like this is where he just reads as so full of himself to me, but maybe I just have a bad attitude ;) That he can't find anything in himself that he might be judged about - hmm...