Wednesday, June 18, 2008

1 Corinthians 2

Paul's words here in chapter 2 have always been a goal for me - one that I have missed the mark on many, many times. In verse 2 Paul says, "For I decided to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ, and him crucified." 1 Cor. 2:2 NRSV. I ask myself often - "What am I known for?" or, "How would people sum up my ministry in a sentence or two?"

My flesh often desires to be known as a great preacher, or a hard working pastor, a missionary, or the leader of leaders. All of this, while useful in its place and not bad goals, pale when compared to being known as a friend of Jesus. When all is said and done, I want to be known as a friend of God, a man that walked with the living savior and showed his love to all. Lord, help me.

Holy Spirit is again Paul's guide and touchstone in this quest. He reasons that just as the spirit of a person knows the deeper hidden things about the person, so the Spirit of God has plumbed the depths of God and only that Spirit can reveal these deeper truths of God to us! I feel cautioned here not to swerve into a gnostic heresy where we think we have a secret truth that others can not attain. No, this truth in the Spirit is available to all and God rejoices in revealing the deeper things of God to us just as a parent, or a teacher rejoices when their children push into the deeper truths they treasure!

What do people "know" about you? Do they think you are a friend of God, or would they be surprised to find out your allegiance is to the Kingdom of God? Lord, help us all to come out form our under cover, secret agent faith stance!

3 comments:

Beth Quick said...

"‘What no eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor the human heart conceived,
what God has prepared for those who love him’" - That's one of my favorite verses in the bible. I have a mug with that verse on it, that I bought while at OWU. It always reminds me of God's goodness, always planning goodness for my life if I am able to receive it.

I like Paul's words about knowing nothing among them except Jesus Christ, and your reflections on that too. It is easy to get caught up in wanting to be known for something else, while failing to focus on what is important.

Pastor Bill said...

Beth,

"Keeping the main thing the main thing" is a struggle. I realize more lately that doing things in the name of our Lord is different than simply doing things. One spreads the gospel and invites souls to the banquet, one is pr for what a great guy I am.

hmmmmmm

Bill

Marshall Bailey said...

Yeah - how quick we are to look for human praise for the things we do. Even when we think we are humble in our faith, deep down we still love heating that people are proud of us for what we are doing. Most people know me as a "good boy," and hopefully most of them know me as a man of God - but so many people know "men of God" who are not good boys - so the association isn't necessarily made anymore. Isn't that sad? I'm not always proud to be a Christian man, although I've known MANY great ones.
Like Paul!
I hope to keep following the spirit as Paul did, and allow the spirit to change my life. What could be better? The spirit clearly knows what's best.
Talk to you soon!
Marshall