Tuesday, July 22, 2008

2 Corinthians 10

Chapter 10 is interesting on several levels. I am most interested in the humanity of Paul that is revealed here. Paul speaks of his reputation among the Corinthians and I believe he shows great candor.

Early in the chapter Paul speaks of the weightiness of his letters when contrasted with the "humility" of his presence. It is one thing to visit with a pastor, another to live with them! There is a phenomena I call "geographic credentials" in the church. The farther a pastor is away from home, the more credibility she or he carries! Paul is dealing with the fruit of this familiarity when he writes, "For they say, 'His letters are weighty and strong, but his bodily presence is weak, and his speech contemptible.' Let such people understand that what we say by letter when absent, we will also do when present." 2 Cor. 10:10&11 NRSV.

I have developed the habit when I am invited to preach in another pastors church to take time to encourage the church to love their pastor and to point out strengths in that person that I admire. I believe we need to be careful not to allow personality conflicts resulting form our own need for approval. Paul says it well when he says, "'Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord.' For it is not those who commend themselves that are approved, but those whom the Lord commends." 2 Cor. 10:17&18 NRSV.

1 comment:

Beth Quick said...

I had a hard time getting into this chapter, for some reason. But your commentary helped it translate to me better ;)