Wednesday, July 2, 2008

1 Corinthians 12

This twelfth chapter of 1 Corinthians is just packed with important information for the church. It is one of my favorite chapters - especially when coupled with chapter 13 as it is meant to be read!

Paul clarifies that this material is for those who call Jesus Christ Lord, and not for the pagan. God gives gifts to all because of God's incredible prevenient grace, but the Holy Spirit is active in the faithful to enhance and enliven us.

There is a great variety of gifts, but they all flow from the same Spirit, and all are given for the good of the Body of Christ - the Church. Some of these gifts are more desired and sought after than others, and Paul reminds us that it is indeed just like the working of a physical body - not all parts are the same but all are necessary!

Paul goes on to list some of the ways and offices where these gifts are shown to work in the church. "And God has appointed in the church first apostles, second prophets, third teachers; then deeds of power, then gifts of healing, forms of assistance, forms of leadership, various kinds of tongues." 1 Cor. 12:28 NRSV. I am convinced a healthy growing church will have all of the gifts and all of the offices represented in it. How about the fellowship you are a part of? Are the gifts of the Spirit and the offices of ministry working there, and if so -- How? What does it look like?

I think we tend to limit how this plays out with our limited categories and prejudices. Perhaps an Apostle today is a church planter or a new small group starter within your fellowship? Perhaps the healers work in gifts of hospitality and reconciliation? Perhaps the one demonstrating the gift of tongues has language skills or can interpret the traditions to new generations? How do you see this promise fulfilled in this time and place?

Tomorrow as you move to read chapter 13 I encourage you to begin at chapter 12:31 and read on through chapter 13. I don't know why the thought got divided by the chapter cut off, but it enhances the text for me when i read 12 and 13 together.

6 comments:

Darlynne said...

I agree with what you are saying; or,at least I think I am agreeing. I do think the way we use our gifts and the ways the gifts are manifested has changed. What a blessing to have the New Testament. We each can test what a man says against what is written in scripture. We no longer have to wait for signs. What a blessing!
Even though this is a Bible study I would like to recommend two books. Fearfully and Wonderfully Made by Dr. Paul Brand and Phil Yancey. It is a remarkable comparison of the human body and the church body. Lots of aha moments. Secondly, The Shack, by William Young. It is a novel about relationship with the Trinity. I heard the author being interviewed on the radio. While some of the theology is curious the main thrust is unmistakable. The Christian life is a relationship. The book forced me to think a lot about that. Anyway they both tie into what we are studying. If anyone else is a reader you might want to put them on your list.

Marshall Bailey said...

Yes, you're right, this is a very important chapter!
We all have so much to offer, but definitely more together than separate. Take building a house - you need the funding, the people in charge, the one who can do electric, then plumbing, painting, craftsmanship, etc. If one were skilled in all these things, that would be awesome - but it's highly unlikely. Together, all these people can build one heck of a house. In the same way, Paul talks about the body of Christ, and how we really all have to work together to get stuff done. That doesn't seem so hard, does it?
We have to be proud of what we have, but humble of what we don't. I guess that's why we have money these days - eh? We pay somebody to do what we can't? We had the driveway sealed today. They do it, because we don't. Weird to think about...Money has become our way of "working together."
We really do need to be smart in our fellowship. God has given us so much, but we don't know about it unless we ask and discuss with our fellow believers. Is that so hard?
Let us really focus on God and what he has given us as we go through our lives and in our fellowship.
I really like how he concludes the chapter with those questions that make us think back to what he has been talking about - working together. They're kind of humbling questions.
Hmm - I bet'cha Sara and I will be working together in marriage.
Speaking of love and marriage...
Until tomorrow! :-)
23!!!
Marshall N. Bailey
P.S. - Got the marriage license today. It's serious buisness now!

Pastor Bill said...

Hi Darlynne,

Amen! I am so thankful or the Bible. It has been a companion and friend to me for most of my life and it changes me! I am also thankful that I don't have to do the work of changing it!

I will get the books you recommend. The Yancey book is familiar, the Young book is not. Thanks for checking in!

Bill

Pastor Bill said...

Hi Marshall,

Marriage lisence in hand! my my my.

When Shari and I got married we had to have blood tests - not anymore I guess. I wonder why they stopped that?

Your comments on working together is very important. None of is the complete package, and we can only accomplish our callby workingtogether. I am coming to see this as not only true within the church, but we need to cooperate between congregations as well!

23 days and praying!

Bill

Marshall Bailey said...

Hey Bill, appreciate your prayers! It's great to know that you're so supportive!
There's no deal with a blood test anymore. I do remember that being mentioned in "Guys and Dolls" when we did it in school as a play. I guess diseases must not be a problem anymore - or maybe they're assuming that by the time someone is married, it's probably already too late?
You never know what happens to rules like that that seem to make so much sense!
Let us work together in our faith, we all have the same goal in mind, don't we? Our congregations or buildings or whatever should not be the things that divide us!

Beth Quick said...

Hm. I think one of the greatest things Mom taught me is that we're all called into a ministry. I just assumed I was called to something by God, just had to figure out what it was. We were raised with such a sense of vocation. So to me, this chapter seems like a no-brainer. But the longer I'm in ministry, the more I realize people don't really see themselves that way - as gifted. I had folks fill out a survey earlier this year - one question asked people to list 3 things they were good at or even really liked. Most people left the question blank!