Monday, July 14, 2008

2 Corinthians 4

This will be an exciting week for me as I travel to Harrisburg PA to represent our conference as a delegate to the Northeast Jurisdictional Conference. I do not know if I will have time or opportunity to blog during the busy schedule, but I will continue to read and I encourage you to do the same. Our reading for the week are: Monday -- 2 Corinthians 4, Tuesday -- 2 Corinthians 5, Wednesday -- 2 Corinthians 6, Thursday -- 2 Corinthians 7, and Friday 2 Corinthians 8. Check in every day, if it is possible I will sign on!

Chapter 4 is rich in emotion and inspiration. Paul begins by siting the decision he has made about his character in ministry. Character is so important for any leader, but in the church it is imperative! A persons talent will often take him or her farther than their character can support! I don't know who said that originally -- probably John Maxwell -- but I have watched it be tragically true in many lives. Lord, help your leaders to stay pure and strong as they lead your flock.

Paul then reverts to the humble position that is required of a Godly leader when he reminds the Corinthians and himself and all readers that while he has struggled to remain pure, he is not the message. Jesus is the message! Paul says the treasure of the Gospel of Christ Jesus is carried in clay pots - cracked pots at that! - so the glory might ALL be God's.

Paul is humbled by his circumstances and suffering, but emboldened by our savior! He says, "We are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not driven to despair; persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed; always carrying in the body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be made visible in our bodies." 2 Cor. 4:8-10 NRSV. Powerful, inspiring words for us to reflect on.

Paul closes with these words of hope, I pray that they might echo in your heart today. "So we do not lose heart. Even though our outer nature is wasting away, our inner nature is being renewed day by day. For this slight momentary affliction is preparing us for an eternal weight of glory beyond all measure, because we look not at what can be seen but at what cannot be seen; for what can be seen is temporary, but what cannot be seen is eternal." 2 Cor. 4: 16-18 NRSV.

1 comment:

Beth Quick said...

I love this chapter. The first part is a popular CCYM/camp song, "Trading My Sorrows," and I'd just been thinking about this chapter yesterday when I was thinking about our first CCYM meeting of the year. The youth have been through such transition as we move into this new conference structure - sometimes I think the adults underestimate how hard change is on young people - and I was thinking how apt the 'trading my sorrows' song is. I love Paul's imagery of carrying both the death and life of Christ within us.