Thursday, July 31, 2008

Galatians 4

Paul continues his onesided debate with the Galatians about their temptation to turn back to the Law. When I look at these texts it occurs to me that our relationships often begin with law and progress as they mature towards grace.

When my son-in-law first came dating my daughter, our relationship was all about rules and laws -- poor guy. I imposed very strict rules and standards for him and meeted out severe disapproval if not corpral punishment when he failed my rigorous standards.

When Paul married my daughter everything between us changed. he stepped into my family and under my umbrella of protection. Now our relationship is all about grace and grandchildren!

Why do the galatians desire to return to law instead of grace? Why do I wander that way? This baffles Paul and truthfully it baffles me, about me! I want to live a s a friend of Christ and as an adopted son! Lord, save me from wandering back and sitting under law and inflicting law on others. help me, I am weak.

1 comment:

Beth Quick said...

I feel a little bad for Hagar in Paul's analogy - always thought God offered Hagar a promise as well, of more than slavery. But I guess Paul's just trying to make his point.

Laws are easier than grace in so many ways. Easier to judge others by. Easier to let ourselves off the hook by.