Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Galatians 2

Paul's account of his visit to Jerusalem to present his ministry to the leaders there is very interesting. The church in Jerusalem was being led at that time by James the brother of Jesus and John and Cephas. They listened to Paul and then extended the right hand of fellowship to him and commissioned him to service among the Gentiles.

It fascinates me that Peter, the Big Fisherman and likely the most coarse of the apostles is sent to the refined Jews, and Paul the Pharisee by training is sent to the Gentiles. I guess God often uses us in the least likely places!

Interesting too is the confrontation that Paul has with Peter when he detects Peter's hypocrisy in his dealing with the Gentiles. It seems that when just the Gentiles were around Peter ate with them and made no distinction between them and himself. When other Jews were present Peter separated himself from the Gentiles. This offended Paul and one account I read had Paul saying to Peter - "HEY!! Is that ham I smell on your breath!?"

If you read closely it is easy to see that these "saints" were just like the saints of today - human beings saved by grace. Not supermen and women, but saved men and women!

Chapter 2 ends with Paul stating succinctly the heart of the gospel he preached and that we are called to share, "For through the law I died to the law, so that I might live to God. I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but it is Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. I do not nullify the grace of God; for if justification comes through the law, then Christ died for nothing." Galatians 2:19-21 NRSV.

Lord, help me to neither add nor subtract anything to your Word. Keep me from placing legalistic stumbling blocks in front of people that prevent them from finding salvation in your son. Amen.

1 comment:

Beth Quick said...

I find the dynamics between Peter, James, and Paul fascinating. (I'd love to hear more about it from Peter and James' perspective! James seems to be the more dominant leader than even Peter in some ways - actually I read a book called 'Excavating Jesus' that made that argument, even though Peter is usually seen as the leader. I guess being the brother of Jesus would be a good reference for leadership!