Thursday, July 3, 2008

1 Corinthians 13

I know you probably get tired of hearing this, but this is one of my favorite chapters in the Bible. I hope as you read chapter 13 you took the time to go back a few verses at least into chapter 12 to get a full look at the context of Paul's chapter on love. Paul has just written to us about the gifts of the Spirit, and the order of the church through which these gifts operate. He then says as what we call chapter 12 concludes "But strive for the greater gifts. And I will show you a still more excellent way." 1 Cor. 12:31 NRSV.

Love is the more excellent way that Paul refers to. Love, this unconditional Godly Love, is the greater gift. Paul refers back to the gifts we desire and says if one excels in those spectacular gifts, but does not posses love, then it is a irritating noise -- a waste of time.

So what is love? A warm puppy, never having to say you're sorry (gag), what!?!? Paul gives us a fairly concise look at what love is in verses 4 through 8, "Love is patient; love is kind; love is not envious or boastful or arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice in wrongdoing, but rejoices in the truth. It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never ends." 1 Cor. 13:4-8a NRSV. Is it any wonder that weddings and funeral are often built around these words? I remember on the day of my wedding (24 years and 2 days ago) my father handed me a small hand written note with those verses on it. He said they were a good goal to try to live in to as I became a husband. He was right! But these words are not just for husbands or wives, they are for every disciple of Christ!

If we will change the world, if we will have any lasting impact on the lives of others it must flow from the Love that God gives us. Nothing else will change people or move them towards God in a real and lasting way. Nothing.

Chapter 13 ends with Paul looking forward to the consummation of this love in the Kingdom. He closes with interesting words, "And now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; and the greatest of these is love." 1 Cor. 13:13 NRSV. have you ever wondered why Love is the greatest of these three things that remain? Perhaps it is because it is the only one that will last into eternal life. I imagine once we are in the Kingdom we will not need faith or hope because we will see and know as we are known! We will, however, be surrounded in a sea of real love. Unconditional Godly love.

3 comments:

Marshall Bailey said...

I'm going to think a little longer on this one so I don't rush it.
Kinda important. :-)

Marshall Bailey said...

I see no one else has been bold enough to post on this chapter yet either. hmm.
Well, here goes.
This is definitely one of my favorite chapters in the bible also.
I wrote a song for Sara when we had been dating for about two years. The chorus went:
“Love is patient and love is kind, love is not envious or boastful, it bears all things, believes all things, hopes and endures all things…And I will love you ‘til the day that I die, with two years now this is only the beginning.”
Then, I only thought of those words in terms of love between a man and woman, but now I realize as we grow deeper in our faith that these words are things that are necessary for interaction between human kind – it’s what God wants us to do. These traits are things that make you better people, and since he wants us to love one another, this is what he wants us to do.
As we approached our wedding, Sara and I decided to go through each one of these traits of love a day, and pray for how both of us could be more like that trait- then we would talk about it. It’s not easy! Take a moment to think through these adjectives for love:
Love is patient - okay stop right there – anyone see a hard spot yet?
God has given us a love that no one can ever compete with. To say that you have love like Christ is a lot more than what most people consider as love.
We need to think about this as we make friends or enemies – because God really set up a great think for us – love. It is not easy, since we naturally have qualms with people. After all – he did say we would have nothing without love, no matter how many special things we could do. Sure makes you think about all those lonely rich people out there, eh?
It’s hard to think of going to heaven and not needed faith or hope anymore, because we get to see the things we have been having faith and hope for all these years. I do like knowing that love conquers all and stays forever, because what could be better than being surrounded by love? That sounds like Heaven to me too!
Happy Anniversary, btw, Bill!
God bless, all!
16.5 days!
Love, Marshall

Beth Quick said...

Sometimes I groan when couples pick this chapter for their wedding, because, of course, I've heard/used it so many times. But when I really look at it, rather than just go through the motions of looking at it, I'm reminded most(!) times of why it is so often chosen. It talks about loves in ways that are totally different than our culture talks about love. Love that puts the other first. Love that is not jealous - passionate maybe - but not dramatic and smothering. And my favorite verses are at the end - the mirror dimly, knowing, even as being fully known.