Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Galatians 3

Oh Boy!!! This is where Paul gets angry and I receive the chewing out I need. I suffer from the disease of Galatianitis. I, like the church in Galatia, try to complete my salvation or at least my faith journey though my good works.

Paul is furious with the church in Galatia or perhaps he is frightened for them like a father is angry and frightened when his children wander into harms way after the have been warned and should know better.

The salvation the Galatians have found comes by grace and now they have been deceived into believing that the rest of their journey is dependent on their hard work. Paul is shocked, he says "You foolish Galatians! Who has bewitched you? It was before your eyes that Jesus Christ was publicly exhibited as crucified! 2 The only thing I want to learn from you is this: Did you receive the Spirit by doing the works of the law or by believing what you heard? 3 Are you so foolish? Having started with the Spirit, are you now ending with the flesh? 4 Did you experience so much for nothing?--if it really was for nothing. 5 Well then, does God supply you with the Spirit and work miracles among you by your doing the works of the law, or by your believing what you heard?" Galatians 3:1-5 NRSV.

I find myself returning to these verses over and over again and trying to learn and internalize the message Paul is conveying. For some reason I seem determined to complete the race I have begun by grace in my own strength! And guess what, it never ends well! O foolish Pastor Bill!

Do you realize friend that we are saved by grace, we live by grace and we will die into grace? The works God has prepared for us to do are only doable by grace. Today I will rest in Christ. No, this does not mean I will stay in bed or that I will do nothing, it means I will allow God's grace to move me and move through me. Lord, help me learn this important life changing call to grace.

1 comment:

Beth Quick said...

I find Paul's way of writing so compelling, how his theology is like a logic puzzle in math, showing, step by step, how it has to be as he says.

God's promise is like a will that can't be annulled or changed. The law is what holds us together until the offspring comes to complete the promise. The promise is completed, and we are saved by grace.