Wednesday, July 9, 2008

2 Corinthians 1

The second letter that we have from Paul to the church in Corinth begins with a focus on God's consolation. It is an awesome thing to be consoled or comforted by God in our times of suffering and affliction, and Paul reassures the believers at Corinth that God is indeed with us in all of our life conditions and situations. Thanks be to God!

Apparently the situation that Paul had endured in Asia was so severe that it made even Paul, a veteran in the lines of persecution, despair for his very life! There was some confusion or disappointment surrounding a failed visit by Paul at an earlier date. Paul reassures the Corinthians that he does not make plans lightly, but his plans had changed through no fault of his own.

Paul's desire to offer a clear gospel call to the people of Corinth touches me. Paul doesn't want his witness to suffer because of unavoidable circumstances. What events or turns in my life have caused the gospel message to suffer in the church I pastor, in the denomination where I am a member? Lord, help my witness to stay strong and true to you.

2 comments:

Marshall Bailey said...

Yeah, this was a good intro to the book. I really like how we are consoled in the faith - how often do people do that?
I was also surprised with his talks of the troubles in Asia. He's always so positive about everything, and he's been through some serious garbage that we've read about. I guess it's a little humbling to know that even Paul struggled in the struggle to share the faith. But he didn't give up, and neither will we! Sometimes, God's plan is just a little different than what we thought...
It is interesting to think about too - if we have trouble for some reason with the church or someone related to it, does that mean that we lose our persistence and confidence in telling the gospel? You wouldn't think there'd be a correlation, or you'd hope there wouldn't be, but that whole "subconscious" probably comes in and takes over.
I pray that it won't, and that I can remain strong in my faith regardless.
God bless, Thanks Bill!
Marshall
ps. I'm going to Young Life Camp next week - no internet. whoa.
haha

Beth Quick said...

I tried not to be lazy and actually looked up 'consolation' in my greek NT, since it is used so much here. And I should have known - it's paraklesis - paraclete - like the Holy Spirit. (Duh!)Literally "a calling to one's aid" or "a summons." Makes the passage more meaningful to me.