Thursday, July 10, 2008

2 Corinthians 2

There is obviously some deep underlying tension between Paul and the saints at Corinth. Paul's letter is uncharacteristic in its vagueness and obtuse approach to the situation. Paul usually cuts right to the heart of an issue, but he seems to be dancing a bit here and I can't help but wonder what the issue is.

It is obvious that Paul is seeking a peaceful resolution to whatever the disagreement is about and with whomever the strife is with. Paul is correct in his attempt to put these battles behind the church. No one ever wins a church fight. I believe it was Bishop Forrest Stith that often said, "If any person here is considered a loser, we all lose." Seek peace and wholeness within the fellowship - within all aspects of your life for that matter.

I like the illustration Paul uses for our evangelism in the world, "For we are the aroma of Christ to God among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing; to the one a fragrance from death to death, to the other a fragrance from life to life." 2 Cor. 2:15-16a NRSV. I have noticed many times in my ministry that when I enter a room - even areas outside of church life - the atmosphere changes. I hope it is because I have carried Christ in with me and those present know his presence through me.

Lord, help us to be conscious of your fragrant presence with us today and every day as we carry Christ to all of the situations and locations we are in. Amen.

2 comments:

Marshall Bailey said...

Yeah - the beginning of this chapter was confusing for me too - what was he apologizing for?
It is true that we can't all win if someone loses - why let a fellow like that fall?
I think that the aroma of our faith should be pretty powerful. Think about how the classroom quiets down when the professor finally walks in on the first day of class...
It's great that you have that kind of presence, Bill. I know some of my friends/acquaintances say to me "I try not to ::::insert something that's not usually a good thing here::::: when you're around." They either try not to swear, be vulgar, etc...and I guess that's cool. I like real people, but maybe acting that way will make them think about it elsewhere also? The aroma may go with them?
God bless, All.
I'll be gone for the next week, at Young Life Camp in Montecello, NY. your prayers would be appreciated as we bring high school aged kids to camp and hopefully to Christ.
Have fun back home!
2 weeks from right now I'll be married (and every day after that for that matter!).
Night!
Marshall

Beth Quick said...

I too am curious to know more about the conflict Paul writes about - but I guess wanting the details is probably beyond Paul's point - he'll forgive for the sake of the community.

Being the aroma of Christ to people - oh, the places you could go with that metaphor!