Thursday, July 24, 2008

2 Corinthians 12

Paul continues the "boasting" from chapter 11 by telling of "a friend" who was caught up into heaven 14 years ago. His method of telling the story and the words he uses has led theologians to speculate that the "friend" was in fact the Apostle Paul himself. I am sooooo curious about this experience and what he saw. Paul makes it worse by saying he, "was caught up into Paradise and heard things that are not to be told, that no mortal is permitted to repeat." 2 Cor. 12:4 NRSV. I guess we'll have to wait and see for our selves!

Paul next speaks of a thorn in the flesh that was given to him to keep him from becoming to elated - to full of himself. Paul said he had prayed 3 times asking God to remove the affliction, but God's response had been, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness." 2 Cor. 12:9 NRSV. This text was very important to me as I was growing up.

My Uncle Baden was a United Methodist pastor (actually he was a Methodist - the United part did not come along until after he retired!). He was famous in my mind for being my father's hero, and for telling neat stories at our family reunions. He told a story one year that I will never forget about a walk he took with my father when my dad was only 8 years old. The 2 of them walked up the gorge that runs between Boonville and the Town of Western where they lived. As they entered the gorge they came across a sign painter and they were curious about what he would paint on the sign. Sign painters in those days - circa 1924 - were their days version of advertising companies and billboards today. The sign painter would not paint while they were watching, so they did not see the sign until later in the day on their way home. The sign read, "God's Grace is Sufficient For You". My Uncle spent the rest of the walk explaining to his younger brother (my dad) what this sign meant.

A few nights later after my Uncle had returned to seminary at Syracuse University my father woke up in the middle of the night screaming. He was in intense pain from the onset of polio. The disease moved up his left leg and into his stomach muscles. The doctor came and told my grand parents that he would likely die by morning if the polio hit his heart and lungs. The family sent for their other son and he returned from seminary and kept vigil at his brothers bedside, wiping his fevered brow and whispering to him over and over the words from the sign, "God's Grace is Sufficient For You". My father survived, and one of his life verses became this text from 2 Corinthians 12. I can witness that in his life this verse held true! Through all of his suffering and pain, all of the joy and celebration God's grace never failed him.

Perhaps today you are in a place where you are struggling. Perhaps you have petitioned God like Paul did only to have the situation continue - or worsen! God's grace is sufficient for you today my friend. God will never leave you nor forsake you. In the midst of your storm, look to God and God may chose to calm you instead of the waves.

1 comment:

Beth Quick said...

Thank you for that story about Grandpa - I'd never heard that one before. That is the best verse from the chapter - and finally when Paul talks about the thorn in the flesh, I start to hear something more real from him.