Wednesday, July 23, 2008

2 Corinthians 11

Paul continues in chapters 11 and 12 to show his humanity and frailty, but we also catch perhaps the best look at his sacrifice fro the Gospel message. Paul's life had been set on a course for power and ease. He was one of the top trained Pharisees in Jerusalem and he was on a path for great things within Judaism. his encounter with the risen Lord changed all of that.

He is contending now for the heart of the Church in Corinth against other preachers and teachers - perhaps Judaisers. These were Jewish converts to a form of Christianity that demanded adherence to the Mosaic Law in order to receive the salvation won for us on the cross by Jesus. Paul contends with them and here he puts his record of service up against theirs. He rightly calls it madness and says, "What I am saying in regard to this boastful confidence, I am saying not with the Lord's authority, but as a fool;" 2 Cor. 11:17 NRSV.

What an impressive litany of suffering Paul has on his resume! "Five times I have received from the Jews the forty lashes minus one. Three times I was beaten with rods. Once I received a stoning. Three times I was shipwrecked; for a night and a day I was adrift at sea; on frequent journeys, in danger from rivers, danger from bandits, danger from my own people, danger from Gentiles, danger in the city, danger in the wilderness, danger at sea, danger from false brothers and sisters; in toil and hardship, through many a sleepless night, hungry and thirsty, often without food, cold and naked. And, besides other things, I am under daily pressure because of my anxiety for all the churches." 2 Cor. 11:24-28 NRSV. WOW. I am humbled when I consider the lives that many of the saints then and now endured for the Gospel and the relative ease in which i live (and I sometimes complain!).

I received a few emails from my friend and fellow pastor from Uganda over the weekend, Davis Mutouvo. Davis is hoping to come and visit us next year and may bring another pastor who walks in ministry with him. I hear the same gentle humility in Davis that I hear in Paul. they inspire me to lay aside the burdens of self and lean in to the privilege of sharing the Gospel. Lord, help me!

1 comment:

Beth Quick said...

See, I'm such a cynic sometimes. I hear Paul reciting his litany of sufferings - sufferings indeed - and think he can't help but be boasting of himself, giving his super-credentials. Ah well, I guess if you have them, flaunt them, or something ;)

What do we do as a Christian community when all of us disagree on who the false prophets and ministers are in our midst? I wonder what Paul would make of the struggles in the church today...