Friday, August 29, 2008

Hebrews 13

The author of Hebrews concludes this powerful book with a look at how his theology plays out in practice. Love each other, be kind, remember those in prison and those that are tortured for the faith, be a faithful spouse, do not be greedy, pray for those in authority over you, and so not get caught up again in the life of laws.

This ending has more of a Pauline feel than much of the rest of the text. I still wonder if Paul wrote this book as a theological companion to Romans. We will never know for sure - this side of heaven I suppose

The read through Hebrews has been very very important for me in my spiritual life. thanks for joining me and asking questions or sending emails to me about the material we have read together. let me close with the benediction form the text, "Now may the God of peace, who brought back from the dead our Lord Jesus, the great shepherd of the sheep, by the blood of the eternal covenant, make you complete in everything good so that you may do his will, working among us that which is pleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ, to whom be the glory forever and ever. Amen." Hebrews 13:20-21 NRSV.

3 comments:

Marshall Bailey said...

Sara and I were talking last night about how much it sounded like Paul at the end - it just ended so much like his other books and it's hard to believe that he didn't have a part of at least the ending.

This has been a great walk through Hebrews. I think it was a great place for me to pick up on the way back home, and I cherrish this journey.

The ending really does tell us some things that we should always consider and do, which are nice to hear. I love reading things about being a spouse now that I have one. :-)
See you in 1 Tim. God bless all!
Marshall

Pastor Bill said...

Hey Marshall,

I guess I always attribute hebrews to Paul in my heart even though my mind has objections. The main hurdle for me in attributing the book to Paul is stylistic. paul always used a different version of the scriptures in his other letters and uses a different one every time in this one. Also some of the greetings and pieces of the letters that are cnsistent in the other letters are missing here.

At any rate, it has been a great help to me to read through this great letter together, I have been changed in the process!

Bill

Beth Quick said...

I agree - this chapter sounds Paul-like, but I just can't reconcile it with the rest of the book. Who knows, I guess!