Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Philemon

It is interesting to me that Paul writes that he is a prisoner "of" Jesus Christ and not a prisoner "for" Jesus Christ. Seems like a big difference to me, I wonder if it was intended.

Paul is in fact a prisoner when he pens this letter to his brother in Christ, Philemon. Philemon had found salvation through the ministry of the Apostle Paul, and so Paul writes a very personal letter to him on behalf of a man named Onesimus.

Onesimus probably met Paul in prison. Onesimus was a run away slave, formerly owned by Philemon. Onesimus accepts salvation under Paul's ministry in prison, and now is being taken back to his master - Philemon.

Paul's letter is an impassioned plea for generosity and brotherly love for this new convert. The name, "Onesimus", means useful in Greek. Paul plays on this in verse 11, "Formerly he was useless to you, but now he is indeed useful both to you and to me." Philemon 11 NRSV.

If you read this letter carefully and perhaps read between the lines, you might see the not so subtle arm twisting the Apostle in chains exerts on behalf of Onesimus. Paul encourages Philemon to place any debt Onesimus may have incurred on Paul's own account. He then subtly reminds Philemon, "I, Paul, am writing this with my own hand: I will repay it. I say nothing about your owing me even your own self." Philemon 19 NRSV.

Paul is sure to remind Philemon that he will be coming soon to visit him in person. Perhaps this shows my humanity and not Paul's, but I read that as a veiled threat if not a strong encouragement to do the right thing.

So how does this all work out? We don't know for sure, but Onsesimus is mentioned later in Colossians 4:9 as, "the faithful and beloved brother who is one of you." I am thankful for a glimpse into the relationships of the early church. They seem a lot more like us than we usually want to think.

3 comments:

Lynn said...

This book has always confused me in that Paul seems to have left behind all he knows about God's grace and has turned to calling in favors or debts to do as God would want us to do. If Paul had reminded Philemon that God teaches us to love one another, to forgive as we have been forgiven, and to welcome the lost, he probably would have won Onsesimus' freedom from slavery. But by his straight arming Philemon, I have not gotten much from this book other than the fact that Paul did try (even if it was by his own strength and ways) to help Onsesimus. Am I missing something here?

Pastor Bill said...

I read the same mistake you do Lynn, and perhaps that is the message. Paul makes a very human mistake and in his desperation to help a run away slave, seems to turn to the flesh instead of the Spirit.

For me, this is the lesson. we are all prone to human weakness and frailty and must always seek our motives and our source of strength. It must be Christ!

Bill

Beth Quick said...

A short and sweet book. I guess I never thought of Paul as being wrongly manipulative, but just as trying to certainly lead Philemon with clear directions. Paul often seems to me to use this persuasive style in his writings...