Friday, August 22, 2008

Hebrews 8

The new High Priest Jesus is discussed further in chapter 8. Jesus comes to usher in a "better covenant" for us.

As I studied the High Priest and the splendor and complexity of their clothing and office I was struck by the exclusive nature of the invitation for that one man to enter into the Holy of Holies on behalf of the nation Israel. I understand from some of the research I did that the bells around the hem of the High Priests Ephod were there to let those outside the curtain hear if the priest was still alive!

Now we have a High Priest that invites us to enter into the Holy of Holies with boldness. This new covenant brings us into God's Holy presence where we can die to our flesh and live to the Spirit.

This new covenant has been promised through the prophets when they said, "This is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the Lord: I will put my laws in their minds, and write them on their hearts, and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. And they shall not teach one another or say to each other, 'Know the Lord,' for they shall all know me, from the least of them to the greatest." Hebrews 8:10-11 NRSV.

I am thankful to live in the age of this new covenant, but I have a feeling we have forfeited the privilege of this intimacy for the religion it came to replace. I am left with a question gnawing away inside of me. What if the Judaisers and those who insisted on rigorous adherence to the law and the gnostic elitists who know the secrets but keep them form the common people won the battle in the early church? Are we living in a shadow of the truth and freedom Christ intended?

3 comments:

Marshall Bailey said...

Hey there,
Glad the new covenant was new and not old. What a lame covenant that was - God was "in a box" as I have heard it before. What a crazy idea, wouldn't you say? For us, it seems hard to believe, because God is in us, and he knows our thoughts, and listens when we pray. The new covenant has brought us a lot more close to our Lord. No bells for me, I'm still alive. If he wasn't completely pure, he'd die in the curtain (the High Priest). That's quite the risk to take, eh? He wouldn't even want to think the wrong way at all while he was in there. There are stories of people actually dieing in there, right?

We will all know Him - least to greatest...that's great. Let's keep it up!

I'm kinda confused on your final question...are you saying we're doing something of a lie in our religion? You saying someone hid something then and we're still wondering?
Thanks for the post. Keep on keepin' on!
God bless!
Mr. Bailey

Pastor Bill said...

Hey Marshall,

My closing question was a bit cryptic. I was trying to wonder out loud if we are living in the fullness of the gift Christ has securred for us, or if we are living "religious" compromised lives. I think their is a deeper purer sweeter way for us to live in relationship with God and eachother, and I see us content to live in a shadow of that where we still make rules and religion our way of life.

Thanks for journeying with me here friend.

Bill

Beth Quick said...

I like this chapter - of course half of it is a quote ;) But as struggling and sinful people, the hope of a new covenant means to much. A chance to begin again, truly.