Thursday, August 21, 2008

Hebrews 7

Chapter 7 starts right off where 6 finishes in a discussion of Melchizedeck. Melchizedeck has been a curious fellow for me since I was a teenager. I have come to believe that Melchizedeck was a Theophany or a Christophany - an appearance of God or Christ in another form. We see this when God appears to Moses in the burning bush.

No matter where you come down on this discussion, Melchizedeck is an oddity for us to consider. Jesus is a High Priest in the same line or order as Melcizedeck and serves under no constraints of the Levitical or Aaronic priesthoods.

The author of Hebrews goes to great lengths here to distinguish Jesus and his High Priestly rule from the others while making sure that Jesus is held at all times as superior.

3 comments:

Marshall Bailey said...

Hello - anyone home? Where is everyone? What's up with all these zero comments? Vacation time?
Thank you, oh good and faithful Bill!
Melchizedeck has been very interesting to my father-in-law (Mr. Getz). He was talking about it just last week when we were there, and I told him it would be part of our reading shortly.
The whole thing seems kind of crazy - all of this blood line stuff, yet he's only mentioned a couple of times in the whole Bible - but when he is, it looks like he's rather significant. An appearance of God - that would make sense. Another name or something?
I'll give you that, then all of this would make sense.
Anywho, carry on. Hope all is well.
Missed you guys...but have been keeping up! Everything was wonderful!
God bless,
Marshall

Pastor Bill said...

Hey Marshall!

Welcome home friend. I have missed your comments and presence on this site as well as seeing you occassionally at worship when you are visiting the "in-laws"!

Melchizedeck is a fascinating guy - many opinions but few hard facts about him availabe.

I hope to see you and your wife soon!

Bill

Beth Quick said...

I'm with you - an oddity, Melchizedek. I try to follow, but get quite confused in this chapter. I guess not about the themes, but about Melchizedek and why the author is so stuck on this imagery/analogy that no one else seems to care much about!