Friday, August 8, 2008

James 4

James lets fly with another hard word that hits the bulls eye.

It is not pleasant to think of our behavior as adulterous, but when we look to anything or anyone other than God for our provision in ANY area we are whoring after other gods. James nails us when he writes, "Adulterers! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God. Or do you suppose that it is for nothing that the scripture says, "God yearns jealously for the spirit that he has made to dwell in us"?" James 4:4&5 NRSV.

I do not like to think of my sin as infidelity to my covenant relationship with God, and yet that is precisely what it is, adultery. I prefer to dress it up and call it something other than sin, and for the most part, church folks will help me and cover for me. I think they may hope I will return the favor when it is their turn.

James sees the solution as simply as he does the problem, "Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded. Lament and mourn and weep. Let your laughter be turned into mourning and your joy into dejection. Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will exalt you." James 4:8-10 NRSV. I must repent and turn back again to God for healing and restoration. Why do I often think God won't mind or notice my infidelity? Would I notice broken marriage vows? Would I excuse the broken covenant and look the other way and pretend all was well? Lord, forgive me and restore me in our covenant.

James 4 ends with a clear definition of sins of Omission. "Anyone, then, who knows the right thing to do and fails to do it, commits sin." James 4:17 NRSV. I heard a young man try to define the difference between sins of CO-mission and O-mission once. He said the sins of CO-mission are the things we have done wrong, and the sins of O-mission are the sins we haven't gotten to yet. Cute, but wrong. When I know to do the right thing and fail to do it, I have sinned. Lord, give me wisdom and courage to stand for you.

1 comment:

Beth Quick said...

Ah, James is always right on, isn't he?