Monday, August 4, 2008

Galatians 6

This week we will finish Galatians and turn to the Book of James. This weeks reading assignments are: Monday -- Galatians 6, Tuesday -- James 1, Wednesday -- James 2, Thursday -- James 3, and Friday -- James 4.

Paul closes this contentious letter by encouraging those who have the Spirit to help those who have been detected in a transgression.

One of my favorite verses in Galatians, and most quoted sermon topics follows, "Do not be deceived; God is not mocked, for you reap whatever you sow. If you sow to your own flesh, you will reap corruption from the flesh; but if you sow to the Spirit, you will reap eternal life from the Spirit." Galatians 6:7&8 NRSV. I have preached on this concept many times and I remind myself of the impact my decisions have long term often. It frequently keeps me from sin, as I know God is not mocked and I may well reap what I sow. It also reminds me of my dependence on Grace - a common theme I suppose.

I wonder what Paul meant when he said, "From now on, let no one make trouble for me; for I carry the marks of Jesus branded on my body." Galatians 6:17 NRSV. Could it be the frequent beatings and suffering that had taken their toll on him, or was it a "stigmata" - a mysterious unexplainable mark on the body similar to the marks of Chris's crucifixion? Whichever of these is the case, it seems obvious that Paul is tired and warn.

How is your Spirit holding up? As summer streaks by I encourage you to take time to play and enjoy the days we have. May God bless you on the journey my friends!

1 comment:

Beth Quick said...

So...do we bear one another's burdens, or carry our own loads? I'm confused! ;)