Monday, August 18, 2008

Hebrews 4

I love the book of Hebrews. In this 4th chapter I find 2 sections that I refer back to on a regular basis.

The first section that I will meditate on today is: "Indeed, the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing until it divides soul from spirit, joints from marrow; it is able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart." Hebrews 4:12 NRSV. I have a very high regard for the Word of God. I struggle with people that treat the Bible as "an interesting book", or "one voice among many". For me, the Word of God IS alive, and the Word is active. I am not here to fix the word, and adapt it to me and my culture, I am trying to allow the God of this Word to fix me.

The second section that I will carry and meditate on today is: "For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who in every respect has been tested as we are, yet without sin. Let us therefore approach the throne of grace with boldness, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need." Hebrews 4:15&16 NRSV. Isn't it great to know that our savior, our High Priest Jesus is not distant or aloof? It is such a comfort to me to know that Jesus is familiar with the trials I face in my flesh because he was tempted in every way. Further, it is a blessing to know he knows how to overcome sin and temptation. He was tempted in every way just as I am yet he did not sin! That is the kind of coach I need!

Let me encourage you to approach the throne of grace today in boldness. Don't bother trying to fix the Word or make it fit your prejudices, allow it to move even in its sharpness to work within. The plan of God is to move in grace and mercy in our time of need, not to cut us to ribbons. Trust God and the love and grace that is offered here.

3 comments:

Darlynne said...

I am thinking today about Hebrews 12. I have to remember that the sword is to be used on me as a restorative tool. It is so much easier to use it as a weapon on someone else.

Pastor Bill said...

Very true. I think it is partof our fallen nature that makes it so much easier to see the sin in others than to address the sin in me.

I have plenty of my own work to do!
Bill

Beth Quick said...

I find the rest/Sabbath imagery here intriguing - I'm doing a series right now on rest/Sabbath in my early service.

I like verse 12 too - living and active. I try to explain to people how I can't just use sermons over again when I preach on the same text. Because God's word always reads differently and means differently - you can't use a dead sermon for the living word ;)