Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Hebrews 6

When the author begins this portion of the letter by scolding the readers about their dependence on elementary things of the faith, he hits me like I am wearing a bulls eye on my chest. The elementary, foundational things of the faith, "Therefore let us go on toward perfection, leaving behind the basic teaching about Christ, and not laying again the foundation: repentance from dead works and faith toward God, instruction about baptisms, laying on of hands, resurrection of the dead, and eternal judgment." Hebrews 6:1-2 NRSV.

If these are the elementary things of the faith, what are the grown up things? What should we be leaning in to if we are maturing in faith?

I think we move deeper into Love. Love of God, love of self and love of neighbor.

How is your Love relationship with God? Not just the intellectual assent that you do love God, but are you anxious to spend time with God, to hear from God? Do you go out of your way to make room for God in all that you are and all that you do?

How is your Love relationship with yourself? How do you care for your self? Are you running on empty and treating your self with disrespect and disdain, or do you appreciate the great gift God has given you in life and talent? I know there is a slippery slope close at hand that we need to avoid, but Jesus seems to assume we will love ourselves when he commands us to love our neighbor as we love ourselves.

And how about the neighbor? How are you growing in Love for your neighbor? And who is our neighbor... If the whole worlds people are our neighbors, we are doing a lousy job of loving them -- I am doing a lousy job of loving them.

Today I will listen more closely for an invitation into the deeper life of faith. Lord, don't leave me where you found me. Draw me into your heart of hearts.

1 comment:

Beth Quick said...

I think I see a clear difference here in this author and Paul in the verses at the beginning, where this author says it's impossible to restore someone who has repented but then fallen away after experiencing God's grace. I can't see Paul saying that. But maybe I'm wrong! Those verses just seemed a bit either harsh or unrealistic about our sinfulness.