Thursday, August 7, 2008

James 3

James writes some very insightful and important words here about the tongue. I have struggled my whole life with the burden of having a fast mouth. Often, before I fully considered the impact of my words and all of the ramifications of what i would say I let the words fly. Often, they cause much harm and great time and energy is spent repairing and asking forgiveness. James says of the tongue, "The tongue is placed among our members as a world of iniquity; it stains the whole body, sets on fire the cycle of nature, and is itself set on fire by hell. For every species of beast and bird, of reptile and sea creature, can be tamed and has been tamed by the human species, but no one can tame the tongue--a restless evil, full of deadly poison." James 3:6b-8 NRSV.

Do you have your tongue under control? James says that such a person is prefect in all they do. Lord, help me to do no harm with my speech. Put a guard over my mouth and let my words be encouraging and a blessing to others.

James encourages us to take a more excellent way, the wisdom form God! "But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, willing to yield, full of mercy and good fruits, without a trace of partiality or hypocrisy. And a harvest of righteousness is sown in peace for those who make peace." James 3:17&18 NRSV. What is your speech and your life noted for friend? Are you known for mercy and good fruits, for being wise and pure and peaceable, or are you known as a mouth murderer with a cutting biting tongue. Submit your words along with me to the Lord today, let God guide and sweeten our words!

1 comment:

Beth Quick said...

"with it we curse those who are made in the likeness of God."

That's a powerful admonishment.