Monday, August 25, 2008

Hebrews 9

This week we will finish our read through the book of Hebrews. I have found this reading of Hebrews to be revolutionary in some significant ways to my spiritual life. I hope you are being blessed by the scriptures as well! This week please read the following chapters; Monday - Hebrews 9, Tuesday - Hebrews 10, Wednesday - Hebrews 11, Thursday - Hebrews 12, and Friday - Hebrews 13.

I have read and reread the descriptions of the early Tabernacle and the Temple and the design and purposes of it. For me, this is shedding new light on the concept of justification and sanctification. In Justification we are saved from our sins and in my opinion invited in to the Holy place of the temple. In Sanctification we are invited to come boldly into the Holy of Holies that has been opened by our High Priest Jesus. In this Holy of Holies I believe our sinful flesh dies and we continue the journey to Holiness.

I know some turn away from the blood atonement, but I find it to be a consistent teaching through the Old Testament and brought to full fruit in our Lord Jesus and his death on the cross and the teachings of the New Testament. Jesus enters the Holy of Holies as our High Priest to sanctify all things with the washing of his blood once and for all.

I have been practicing entering in to the Holy of Holies with Jesus the first thing every morning and every time I feel challenged during the day. I ask Jesus to bring me to the Mercy Seat and put to death all that is not Holy in me and to cleanse me by the washing of his blood. I can feel and watch the difference in my days when I am faithful to this discipline.

Try entering in to this Mercy today as you live and experience your day. Let me know if you see a change or if this seems silly to you. I am anxious to walk closer to Jesus with you.

3 comments:

Marshall Bailey said...

Yeah - I totally agree Bill. You can justify anything, can't you? Oh well, I had to go fast because someone kept me late and I had to get to the next place on time. Oh, I said those words becuase of the people I was around. Oh, I skipped Church because this week was too busy. Oh, my Bible has dust on it because I seek God other ways...
Yeah, justify all the things you do wrong, it'll make you feel better for a minute - but deep down your sin is sill there, and you'll know it! That's what happened back then when the animals were sacrificed - it felt like the things you did wrong were justified.
Now, we have Jesus, who doesn't justify our sins - in fact he does completely the opposite - he rids it, and forgives us - he never says it was okay or justified, it's just now taken care of.
Well, I'm glad I met him, because let me tell you, I can't deal with all these things on my own.
I'll do your suggestion in the morning from now on, especially now that student teaching is starting. I'll let you know!
God bless, all,
Marshall

Pastor Bill said...

Enjoy the student teaching friend. I will be praying for you!

Bill

Beth Quick said...

I was thinking reading this chapter about how much mystery there was in worshiping God in these descriptions, and how little room we leave for God's mystery in most of our worship times today. We have it all figured out, right?

The author emphasizes the 'one time' things with Jesus - one time, not over and over. I guess that's the most significant part for me.