Wednesday, August 6, 2008

James 2

James speaks out against showing partiality to the wealthy within the church. The Old Testament is full of admonitions to not only show no partiality to the rich, but also to show no partiality to the poor! Fairness and dealing with people from a point of grace is the hall mark of true Judeo -- Christian culture, at least ideally.

Next, James reminds us that their is no hierarchy in the law, but when we offend any of the laws we offend them all, "For the one who said, "You shall not commit adultery," also said, "You shall not murder." Now if you do not commit adultery but if you murder, you have become a transgressor of the law." James 2:11 NRSV.

The next portion of James is an excellent counter balance to the grace material we have just covered in Paul's writings! Paul has been speaking very convincingly to us for weeks that our salvation is all about grace and not the works of the law. James speaks up today with a counter balance that says, "So faith by itself, if it has no works, is dead. But someone will say, "You have faith and I have works." Show me your faith apart from your works, and I by my works will show you my faith." James 2:17&18 NRSV.

In our journey of faith, faith and works must go hand in glove. It is not an either or situation, but both and! Works in the context of James letter, are the fruit that grows from the seed of grace planted within us! I believe every christian has a spirit given gifting that is useful in ministry. What is yours? Are you using it in ministry for the Kingdom of God? What would the local church look like if EVERY member of the fellowship was involved in some on going ministry?

1 comment:

Beth Quick said...

Have I mentioned that I love James? I feel like when I read James I'm reading someone who truly captures the spirit of Jesus. Paul is so intelligent, persuasive, articulate, theologically deep. But for me, James hits it home more clearly. I love the verses about saying "Go in peace" to those in need. How often do we do just that?!