Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Hebrews 5

The material covered in the book of Hebrews is sometimes hard to get a handle on because of our standing as gentiles. Few of us are familiar with Jewish traditions, and fewer still with the traditions and lifestyles of first century Israel.

The writer speaks about the role of High Priest in that culture and their responsibilities. Jesus is our High Priest, and Jesus not only fulfills that role, but he perfects it.

The author refers a few times to Jesus being High Priest in the "Order of Melchizedeck", and never fully explains that Priesthood. Melchizedeck was the high priest that met Abraham in the wilderness as Abraham was returning from conquest. Abraham paid tribute to him with a tithe of the spoils, and Melchizedeck disappears into obscurity. What a curious fellow - no end and no beginning... more on him in chapter 7.

The rebuke that ends chapter 5 is a familiar scripture that I will meditate on today, "About this we have much to say that is hard to explain, since you have become dull in understanding. For though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you again the basic elements of the oracles of God. You need milk, not solid food; for everyone who lives on milk, being still an infant, is unskilled in the word of righteousness. But solid food is for the mature, for those whose faculties have been trained by practice to distinguish good from evil." Hebrews 5:11-14 NRSV. What are the areas where I am still a babe in the faith? Where am I still desiring and needing milk when I should have moved on to solid food? Lord, help me to grow up into Christ who is the head of the church. Thank-you for your patience! Amen.

3 comments:

Darlynne said...

Do you think Melchizideck was Christ appearing in an earthly form or do you think he was a man,apart from Christ, who was Christ-like, or was he something else all together?

Pastor Bill said...

Hi Darlynne,

I am not sure who this Melchizedeck is. I have read all i can get my hands on concerning him and I have looked arond the internet. Most people leave the question open at least in part because we can not know.

My opinion is that this appearing of Melchizedeck was a Theophany or a Christophany - an appearing of Chist or God in another form (like God appeared in the burning bush to Moses).

Beth Quick said...

To me I always think about this chapter in terms of the meaning of ordination - I find it somewhat helpful there.

Interesting language about Christ being made perfect in learning obedience...