Thursday, August 14, 2008

Hebrews 2

In chapter 2 the author continues the argument for Jesus' superiority to angels. He then proceeds to put forth a position that ties Jesus closely to Abraham and the people of Israel. The author does this to set the premise for the letter, Jesus Christ the High Priest of the nation Israel.

It was important for this epistle to the Hebrews to show Jesus position both as a human and as deity to build the case for the atonement that the author intends to make.

I will meditate today on the final two verses of chapter 2, "Therefore he had to become like his brothers and sisters in every respect, so that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in the service of God, to make a sacrifice of atonement for the sins of the people. Because he himself was tested by what he suffered, he is able to help those who are being tested." Hebrews 2:17&16 NRSV. It is hard for me to think about Jesus being just like me, and so it is hard for me to think about me being just like Jesus. There is the escape clause my sinful flesh desires. We are called to re-present Jesus here friends. You and I are called to be just like Jesus!

1 comment:

Beth Quick said...

"perfect through sufferings" - That was the phrase that struck me most in this chapter - how against the dominant worldview is that notion, that through suffering or 'weakness' is God's perfection.