Monday, September 1, 2008

1 Timothy 1

This week we will turn our attention to the book of 1 Timothy. Please read the following chapters; Monday -- 1, Tuesday -- 2, Wednesday -- 3, Thursday -- 4, and Friday -- 5.

This is one Paul's letters called the Pastoral Epistles. This letter is written to Timothy, one of Paul's "sons in the faith". Timothy is a young pastor under Paul's leadership, and the letter is intended for his instruction and training.

This first chapter follows this format; Greeting (1:1-2) Timothy's Standing Order: Stay and Fight (1:3-20) Opposing False Teachers (1:3-5) The False Teachers (1:6-7) The Law (1:8-10) The Authorized Doctrine (1:10-11) The Testimony of a Faithful Teacher (1:12-17) Timothy, Fight the Good Fight (1:18-20). It is fascinating for me to eavesdrop on the old apostle giving marching orders to his disciple.

Paul instructs Timothy to take a stand against false teachings in Ephesus. Timothy is to be a faithful soldier of the Gospel. This was not a pleasant or easy call - we should not b surprised when we are called to contend for our faith that it will not be easy or popular.

Paul gives timothy a clear word on the purpose of the Law - it is useful now for instructing sinner, "Now we know that the law is good, if one uses it legitimately. This means understanding that the law is laid down not for the innocent but for the lawless and disobedient, for the godless and sinful, for the unholy and profane, for those who kill their father or mother, for murderers, fornicators, sodomites, slave traders, liars, perjurers, and whatever else is contrary to the sound teaching that conforms to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, which he entrusted to me." 1 Timothy 1:8-11 NRSV.

The personal nature of this letter allows us to eavesdrop on Paul's heart. Don't miss the humanity and personality of the letter. Paul closes this portion with another call to Timothy to persevere, "I am giving you these instructions, Timothy, my child, in accordance with the prophecies made earlier about you, so that by following them you may fight the good fight," 1 Timothy 1:18 NRSV.

Are we fighting the good fight of faith today friend? Are we holding fast to the message of the Gospel, or are we negotiating away the pure call of God, diluting the faith as we hope to conform to the world. I heard one of our young college students on local television this past Annual Conference say something like this, "We need to change our message to fit the culture we find ourslves in..." I was in my motel room and I said to the walls "No, no, no, no!" We do not change the message. The message is just fine, and it changes us. We may change the presentation, and the way we bring the unchanged message to a new generation, but WE DO NOT CHANGE THE GOSPEL!! We fight the good fight, we remain true to God, we offer them Christ!

4 comments:

Marshall Bailey said...

Fight the good fight - no matter how hard it may be.
Paul is so encouraging here, it's wonderful. I'd like to think that I'm fighting the good fight, but it certainly never seems like enough. All these rules and laws now that forbid me to speak of religion really bother me. It makes me feel like I'm living a double life just because I can't say what I really feel about blessings and prayer and Jesus while I'm acting as a school teacher. Is God okay with that? I wouldn't say so. We have to change everything - memorials, the pledge, and more - just to appease the few.
But I could lose my job over it (the one that I don't even have yet!)...
Don't change the message, don't sugar coat it - I agree. Jesus saves us, but it means a change of heart and a change of life. Thank goodness he's patient though.
Thanks Bill, keep fighting the good fight!
Love,
Marshall

Pastor Bill said...

Marshall - (dba Timothy)

You are fighting the good fight. The example and Godly influence you will have is like salt and light in a flavor starved dark world. Trust God, be the person God has made you to be. Enjoy the journey!

Bill

Marshall Bailey said...

It's a great journey, and I'm surely enjoying it.
Thanks for the encouragement.
By the way - we don't have any salt in our apartment yet - haha. But, I did buy some flashlights the other day when the power went out!
-Marsh

Beth Quick said...

I wonder what the prophecies about Timothy were...