Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Luke 19

Jesus enter Jericho in a procession that must have looked like a disorganized parade. The crowds were everywhere, and a tax collector named Zaccheus climbs a sycamore tree to gain a vantage point to see Jesus from. Then the unexpected happened. as Jesus and the crowds pass underneath Zaccheus perch, Jesus stops and looks up and summons Zaccheus to come down and be his host! Imagine the shock and surprise of this sinner that the hero of the day would not only acknowledge him, but desired to stay with him! It's easy for me to imagine, because I have experienced the same shock. Jesus did not pass this sinner by, but he has come to live with me - how about you friend? Jesus mission statement is made clear here when Jesus responds to the grumbling crowd with these words, "For the Son of Man came to seek out and to save the lost." Luke 19:10 NRSV.

If Jesus' mission is to seek and save the lost, how are we doing in helping him accomplish that mission? I would say that we have pretty much concluded that the tax collectors and sinners of our days are not hiding under the pews and chairs in our churches - yet that seems to be the only place we chose to seek for them! The lost that need Jesus are hiding up a tree out and about among us Monday through Saturday. Will you invite them in on Jesus behalf this week? Come on, take a chance. Risk being odd and open your heart and your mouth to a stranger or a family member and bring them to church.

As Jesus makes his triumphal entry this Palm Sunday or Lamb Selection day as the Jews would have called it his reaction breaks my heart. As the crowds call out to him and herald him as the next King in David's line, Jesus weeps over their lost condition. He wonders aloud at their ignorance with these words, "If you, even you, had only recognized on this day the things that make for peace! But now they are hidden from your eyes." Luke 19:41 NRSV. I wonder if we know today what will make us whole.

4 comments:

Marshall Bailey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marshall Bailey said...

I love reading about Jesus.
That Zaccheus story is pretty awesome. I know that story exemplifies why all of us have been accepted by Christ - because we are all sinners. Do you think the people that were there, condemning Zaccheus just considered themselves less of a sinner than he, or did they feel they didn't sin at all? I'd like to see that!
It is true - we have the chance to seek and help save. Just like he talks about with the minas in this chapter. If we bury our salvation in the ground, and only take it out when we need it, we will really have nothing in the end. Jesus has given us the chance to save our friends and our enemies from the fires of Hell, and we really aught to do so. Why not? What have we got to lose? What we have on earth is not really that important! And you make a valid point, PB, church isn't exactly the place we find these sinners - it's everywhere else. I see them everywhere in my life, without even looking. Sarah Brown in "Guys and Dolls" and her crew didn't stay in, they marched through the towns and spread the word. Guess we just need to be more like the disciples!
I love the last verses of the chapter, "47Every day he was teaching at the temple. But the chief priests, the teachers of the law and the leaders among the people were trying to kill him. 48Yet they could not find any way to do it, because all the people hung on his words. (NIV)"
What a guy that Jesus, they hung on his every word, even though they were trying to destroy him!
That's my God!
TTYS!
Marshall Bailey

mw said...

Zacchaeus is one of my heroes.

He dared to leave his comfort zone so he could see Jesus.

A grown man, already picked on for being short AND for being a tax collector, risked further ridicule by climbing up into a tree.

I can picture today's crowd jeering and mocking him - maybe even tossing a few stones his way.

His sacrifice may seem minor to most peole, but in my heart I honor him as a hero and an example to all.

May I have the courage to climb higher than those around me, risking ridicule and judgement, just to set and keep my eyes on our Lord and Savior.

May I have the courage to stand out and stand up for the man who stood out and stood up (and continues to) for me.

Not one time, but EVERY time.

Praise God.

Beth Quick said...

Hm. I think the people grumbling had to either think that they weren't sinners, or think that they weren't worthy of Jesus either. I'm guessing that it's the latter, and that they just also didn't see themselves as worthy of God's attention in this intimate way.

The triumphant entry caught me off guard after these two parables. I knew it was coming, but didn't realize we were there already! If I feel that way knowing the story, I can imagine how Jesus' crew must have felt!