Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Luke 13

As chapter 13 begins Jesus addresses a question that is probably as old as humanity. Why do bad things happen to people? Jesus mentions some contemporary catastrophes that his listeners would have been familiar with. He asks the crowd if they think that those who had suffered had been more evil than the rest of society. The answer, of course, is that good people and bad people suffer – the rain falls on the just and the unjust. Jesus then tells the crowds a parable indicting that we all will die, so we should repent and live at pace with God.

Jesus confronts the Pharisees and their legalism again on a Sabbath. Jesus heals a woman who had suffered for 18 years, and was bent completely over! After the healing one of the synagogue leaders told the crowd that they should only come for healing on non-Sabbath days! What a hypocrite he was! I wonder if he immediately realized how stupid his idea was after he had said it out loud, or if he was still convinced of his point. Sometimes I immediately know when I have said something I wish I hadn’t – how about you?

Jesus now gives three illustrations for the Kingdom of God. The Kingdom of God is like a mustard seed that grows and becomes a home to many, it is like yeast that a woman puts in dough and it spreads and leavens the whole loaf, it is like a narrow gate that we must carefully approach lest we miss our goal.

As chapter 13 ends we see an unusual occurrence – a Pharisee comes and warns Jesus that Herod is coming to arrest him. We never know if this is just a ploy be the Pharisee to move Jesus along, or if it a version of the old “The enemy of my enemy is my friend”. Jesus is defiant and says – "He said to them, "Go and tell that fox for me, 'Listen, I am casting out demons and performing cures today and tomorrow, and on the third day I finish my work. Yet today, tomorrow, and the next day I must be on my way, because it is impossible for a prophet to be killed outside of Jerusalem.'" Luke 13:32-33 NRSV. In other words, if you want me, come and get me if you can!

This momentary bravado turns to sadness as Jesus considers Jerusalem. What a sad lament as Jesus considers what might have been… If only Jerusalem had embraced him and allowed him to love them as he had so longed to love them. I imagine that Jesus sometimes laments over me. “O Bill, Bill …”. Lord, help me to live in the shelter of your love.

4 comments:

mw said...

Jesus once again frees a person from the infirmities Satan had inflicted on her.

Pastor, why isn't more preached or talked about on the subject of Satan inflicting our brothers and sisters?

Specifically, why isn't the healing spoken about more?

We are blessed with the power and authority of Jesus - is it because we are too scared?

I do know from the books you have lent me that one of Satan's greatest deceptions is convincing people that he doesn't exist - or at least not on earth at this time.

We know better, of course, but I wonder why our doctrine does not lead us into this area of healing.

I too feel Jesus' sorrow for Jerusalem. Our Lord is so loving and compassionate - you can feel his sorrow and almost hear his heart break over Jerusalem's refusal to repent and be saved.

It really is amazing, considering how easy it really is.

And, of course, how AWESOME it is to be in His love :)

Pastor Bill said...

Hi Mark,

I wonder about this too. I understand from some reading I have done that the "Last Rights" of the Roman Catholic Church - the prayers that are said for people when they are about to die - were originally prayers for healing. I guess after years of praying and watching people die, they lost their original focus.

I wonder if that is what has happened to us. Have we lost our close walk with Christ and the power we are supposed to walk in and so we now don't even mention healing and things of the Spirit?

It takes courage to walk by faith, but that is the most excellent way that we have been invited to.

Bill

Marshall Bailey said...

I wish I had that kind of boldness. "You want me to leave here and stop preaching? Okay, come kill me. If not, I'll leave in a litte bit maybe. " That Jesus, he was a little gutsy!
A lot of people struggle with the idea of why bad things happen - it's great to have some biblical references to try to explain why things happen - and then we need to remind ourselves of these things when bad things happen to us too...
The sabbath stuff always surprises me - maybe because we're so not strict today - but Jesus is right, even on the day of rest you have to do something...water the donkey or heal the lady, what's it gonna be? It does make me think we should honor our sabbath more though. We don't at all it seems sometimes.
I want my faith to help people and become like the yeast in that dough. Or the tree that blossoms and can make new trees. The Kingdom of God is so amazing, and we can share it with so many people when/if we choose!
If only some non-believers could feel and experience what I experience in my faith, they would certainly have a lot less doubt!
God bless,
Marshall

Beth Quick said...

I too have often said things I immediately realized were stupid - the trick is being smart enough to say you were wrong, but often a stubborn streak takes over....

The story about the crippled woman was the last text I preached on in Oneida, so it's another significant one for me. The idea about not waiting one day more for healing, one day more for acting in love.