Wednesday, April 2, 2008

3 John

Letters like 3rd John reveal to us the humanity and brokenness of the early church. I have traveled in charismatic evangelical circles of faith all of my adult life. I love the unction and anointing of the Holy Spirit and the praise and worship life of some of these fellowships fuels my heart and spirit.

I often hear people in these circles and sometimes even in main line denominational circles lamenting that they wish they were a part of a "New Testament" church. Really?!?!?! I wonder when I hear that sentiment if the person saying it has any idea what they are wishing for.

You see, the early church that we romanticize had the same major flaw ( and the same major strength) that our current churches suffer from -- the church was full of people! That's right folks, human beings, people alot like you and me. 3 John gives us a glimpse into the dysfunction of the "New Testament" church.

John had apparently written a letter to the church that Diotrephes refused to circulate. That letter was actually 3 John - what we read today is at least 4 John! John writes here to encourage his friend Gaius to persevere and do the right thing in supporting John and he commends Demetrius who likely is hand delivering this letter to Gaius to assure its arrival. John says in a somewhat threatening way "instead I hope to see you soon, and we will talk together face to face." 3John 14 NRSV.

I am glad to be part of the New Testament church in 2008. We have some of the same challenges and opportunities as they did 2000 years ago. I will close our reading of John's letters as he began this final one, "Beloved, I pray that all may go well with you and that you may be in good health, just as it is well with your soul. I was overjoyed when some of the friends arrived and testified to your faithfulness to the truth, namely how you walk in the truth. I have no greater joy than this, to hear that my children are walking in the truth." 3John 2-4 NRSV.

3 comments:

Marshall Bailey said...

His discipleship was incredible. You can see how it is working through these letters. I really enjoyed reading them. It was also really cool how he ended both 2 John and 3 John with "I'll tell you more when I see you which should be soon."
This book just really helps us to understand what it was like back then as disciples. Just as then, we need to have this type of encouragement now. He tells them what they are doing is for a reason, and that it is the right thing to do.
He also says, imitate what is good, not what is evil. Sounds easy enough, but we often don't do that.
Like you know, drive the speed limit, let someone in front of you at the express lane, don't judge people....
Oh life... :-P
See you again tomorrow night, all,
Marshall Bailey

mw said...

Nice close, PB - I read that several times.

It would be a great salutation or closing in any conversation.

It brings warmth, hope and encouragement to continue to do well.

Talk about a letter of recommendation for Gaius - I would bet he was energized by this commendation for doing well when so many were resisting his works.

Sometimes those sparks just need to be fanned a little to start a raging fire.

I pray that I may live my life in such a way to deserve the same commendation - not from my brethren, but from my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

Beth Quick said...

So true - sometimes I marvel at how quickly we humans wandered from what Jesus was about - it seems that the NT church didn't take very long to lose some of the focus and heart of Jesus' message - as we have. I'm trying to pay more attention to that, especially coming up to GC - asking myself, does any of this have to do with what Jesus was about?

We're called to imitate what is good, instead of just imitating that which is evil and already plentiful enough without the help of people of faith!