Friday, April 11, 2008

Luke 6

Hi Friends! We are safely in Georgia and settling in to our apartment at Epworth by the Sea. We flew out of JFK this afternoon (Friday) and after sitting on the runway waiting for a crowded airspace to clear up a bit we flew in to Jacksonville Florida. After securing our bags and rental car we drove the 50 or so miles to St. Simon's Island where we will be vacationing for the next 11 days. I will continue to post my blogs everyday, and I encourage you to read and respond as well. This reading and blogging has been a great blessing for me and I hope for you as well!

In Luke chapter 6 we see Jesus going head to head with the Pharisees over their contrived legalism and his freedom and grace. This battle took Jesus to the cross and still rages within the church today. What a fine line we are forced to walk between anarchy and legalism. We need to remember we are saved by grace and must walk this life in that same amazing grace!

Jesus proves the veracity of his claims by healing a man with a withered hand. perhaps a quick indicator for us in our journey of faith might be, "Are people set free and healed by our walk of faith, or are they imprisoned and weighed down by it?"

Chapter six concludes with what theologians call "The Sermon on the Plain" (as apposed to similar material being called "The Sermon on the Mount" in Matthew). You can see that the material here starts alot like The Sermon on the Mount with the beatitudes ("Blessed are you...") but Luke's presentation is much shorter than Matthew's. The beginning and the end are similar, and this sermon concludes with a warning to all that building a life on any foundation other than Jesus teaching will lead to utter collapse!

4 comments:

Marshall Bailey said...

Thanks for keeping up the blog even on your vacation, Bill. Praise God.
Lots of red for this chapter in my bible - must be why it was such good stuff! I have to say that I love the "log in the eye" section. How often we fail to recognize our faults yet we're so quick to realize the faults of others. What's our deal anyway? This section (6:37-42) really sums it up.
Jesus also makes a strong emphasis again on love. He tells us the things we would do for those we care about, without thinking twice about them. When I read this, I realize I can totally do better at caring more about others and less about me.
Can you imagine having the power to heal, seeing someone in need, but thinking twice because of the day of the week and the rules? Thank goodness Jesus can overcome these situations and continue to heal.
verses 20-26 we're very interesting...blessings and woes. A few points there make you realize how minimal the things of today may be - and maybe gratification now actually isn't good. - If we're used to eating a carrot and we get two, will we be happy or sad? Also, if we are used to eating a steak and get fish, will we be happy or sad? I think this is kind of his point - and it helps me to understand why we've become so darn greedy.
There's so much in each of these chapters!
More Luke to Come!
God bless,
Marshall

Pastor Bill said...

I think your comments today go pretty well in yesterdays context. Jesus overcoming the prejudices yesterday and today the religious constraints against his healing or loving. We do mess up faith hpe and love when we get religious instead of relational!

Bill

mw said...

Lynn did a great job Sunday explaining Jesus' command to not judge.

This (like many others) is one of my favorite passages.

I read somewhere that people tend to make excuses for their own actions, while at the same time condemning others for the same action.

I have been guilty of this way too many times.

I can remember hearing this "log in your eye" sermon when I was a teenager (yes the sermon was in color). It had a great influence on me then, and it has a great influence on me now.

I just need to learn to apply it quicker in my thought process.

If I can die to myself a little more each day, I would assume this would become easier.

I have a long way to go, but the journey sure is fun!

Beth Quick said...

I like Luke's version of the Beatitudes better than Matthew's, I think - simpler, more powerful in that way somehow, and Luke includes the 'woes' that I think are pretty important and powerful to hear too.

I love the parable about the houses - I've had couples select this for weddings a couple of times, where I think it is particularly effective.