Monday, April 21, 2008

Luke 12

As we start a new week let me remind you of our reading schedule. This week we will read: Monday - Luke 12, Tuesday - Luke 13, Wednesday - Luke 14, Thursday - Luke 15, and Friday - Luke 16. We are making headway nicely as we read through this very "thick" gospel. It is fairly easy reading because the material is somewhat familiar, but it is a challenge because Luke crams so much into each sentence! Stick with it, I appreciate your walking with me in this more than you know! Now, let's look at Luke 12!

Have you ever noticed the way a crowd gathers when there is going to be a fight? I have been on both sides of this crowd more that i care to admit - spectator and brawler. In chapter 11 Jesus picks a fight with the religious leaders of his day and in chapter 12 a crowd gathers to see the fight. Jesus calmly concentrates on his disciples and uses this as a teaching moment. Jesus is cool.

In 12:16 - 20 Jesus tells the following parable. "Then he told them a parable: "The land of a rich man produced abundantly. And he thought to himself, 'What should I do, for I have no place to store my crops?' Then he said, 'I will do this: I will pull down my barns and build larger ones, and there I will store all my grain and my goods. And I will say to my soul, 'Soul, you have ample goods laid up for many years; relax, eat, drink, be merry.' But God said to him, 'You fool! This very night your life is being demanded of you. And the things you have prepared, whose will they be?" This parable paints a painful picture of selfishness. Take a look at the parable and the language used. Note the over abundance of personal pronouns in the story "I", and "my" are sprinkled all through the mans conversation. This is a fairly good measure for us to use on our own attitudes. When you think and talk and pray, is your conversation all about yourself? I this and i that followed by my my my? God responded then and I think God may respond now with disgust and discipline!

Jesus knew this teaching ran contrary to the wisdom of the world, and so he continued to encourage those listening to store their treasures up in heaven! Where is your treasure friend? I assure you, wherever your treasure is your heart will follow! Cast your treasure over the fence into the Kingdom and it will draw the rest of you after it!

The stress and weariness of life can be seen very clearly in the following verses, "I came to bring fire to the earth, and how I wish it were already kindled! I have a baptism with which to be baptized, and what stress I am under until it is completed! Do you think that I have come to bring peace to the earth? No, I tell you, but rather division! " Luke 12:49-51 NRSV. When I read this I hear Jesus ask James and John f they are sure they want to drink from the cup from which he must drink, and be baptised with the baptism with which he will be baptised. The path Jesus calls us to walk is not supposed to be the easiest path, but it calls for our deepest commitment! Come, follow Jesus!

5 comments:

Lynn said...

Jesus came to bring division, not peace. Those looking for the one, their savior, their Messiah, who would take them out of the oppression of the Romans, must have been depressed when Jesus uttered these words. Many of them must have decided that Jesus was not their savior, their Messiah. How could one who would bring division amoung families, also bring unity against their oppressors? Just as many of them that did not "get it" when Jesus spoke, there are so many more today that don't "get it". We tend to try and keep peace in the family rather than to stand up for Christ and the life that He wants us to live. What we believe in and our faith takes a back seat. We want the love of our children and/or parents at any cost. How this world influences us is sad, just as sad as it is when we do not dilengently set the example that Jesus set for us. Love the Lord you God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength. He needs to be our first love. And love your neighbor, your children and your parents as you love yourself. Set the example of following Christ and maybe there won't be as much division in your family as there is in many familes today. But if the division remains be assured that God is not done with any of us yet. We all are a work in progress. Pray, Pray, and Pray. Jesus will do the rest.

Bill, hurry back, this getting up on a soap box, is becoming all too familiar. Oh, that's right that's what we all are suppose to be doing. On second thought, take your time, I need more practice.

mw said...

"2 For there is nothing covered that will not be revealed, nor hidden that will not be known." (NKJV)

I love this verse. To me, it reminds me how much more sense it makes to confess your sins once, have them forgiven and move on with a lesson learned.

I like this much better than having to have my sins told to me or hear them proclaimed on the housetops.

It really is amazing how easy our God makes this for us.

And as for treasures, my wife and I have been blessed with a MUCH higher return on our investments since we transferred our accounts from carnal things to heavenly things.

"24 Consider the ravens, for they neither sow nor reap, which have neither storehouse nor barn; and God feeds them. Of how much more value are you than the birds?"

This has always been one of my staple verses. It calms my soul to know that my God knows the hairs on my head and will always take care of me.

Of course that forces me to open my eyes and my heart and accept His decisions even when they aren't the answers or direction I was looking for.

If I were stranded on an island with only one chapter of the bible, I think I would want this one.

Personally, I believe I could model my whole life from just this chapter.

I love it.

Maybe I should cover my mirror with this one :)

Marshall Bailey said...

Hey everybody. Another really full Luke chapter!
This one hit home today more than usual. I've had a few people die in the past few weeks that I've known and it's had me thinking about how quick this earlthy life goes away. I was just talking to Sara about it on the way home today. Then, I open the bible (a day behind no less) to find this very passage talking about how much we worry about this world and how we gotta stop. It seems so rediculous to buy a bigger barn to store our grain and such, but isn't that what we're doing when we buy big houses, big cars, or vacation homes? I guess there's really no difference. These verses came right at the perfect time, as I've just had many unrestful nights in a row due to a huge paper I was finishing . Now the next paper is due in a few days, but I'm taking tonight off. How important ARE these things, really?
I was a little concerned when I read those verses about Jesus and the Family - but then Lynn made me feel better about them. I've been nervous, especially since I'm still kinda young (just turned 21), to talk to my elders or other relatives about Jesus and the faith, for fear that it would cause the relationship to go sour. Well, I guess it's worth it, since Jesus says these things will happen. I really need to buck up, save lives, and not miss chances to share his word.
I love Jesus, and I know he's changed my life - is it so hard to just tell others how incredible it's been? I keep trying to live my life as a testimony - and it makes a difference - but I know I can always do better.
He tells us right here that we can.
Thanks Jesus for those words tonight.
God bless, all!
Hope you're all enjoying the nice weather!
Marshall Neil Bailey

Pastor Bill said...

Hey friends,

We are safely back from vacation. i leave in a few days fo the Kentucky ission trip, but it was nice to sleep in my own bed last night. It occurred to me as I read the posts from you 3 that part of vacation is taking abreak from worrying about "stuff". I need to practice living in this peace as Jesus instructs!

See you all soon.

Bill

Beth Quick said...

What is blaspheming against the Spirit do you think?

The Parable of the Rich Fool was the first text I ever preached on and one of my very favorite passages. Sometimes, when I'm buying yet another unneeded item, I can't help but hear, "These things you've prepared, whose will they be?" Passages like this are especially significant to me in my current appointment in a very affluent culture. Not just for my congregation, but for me, and the lifestyle here.

The worry passage - oh, how much do I need to learn that! "Strive for the kingdom . . . It is your father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom."