Friday, April 18, 2008

Luke 11

In Luke 11 the disciples ask Jesus to teach them to pray. The lesson begins with an abbreviated version of the Lord's Prayer - not given as a prayer we must memorize and repeat, but as a model for us to work from. Jesus continues with the teaching by giving some examples of the results of faithful prayer.

Another demon - this one causes a young man to be mute - is cast out. Have you noticed how common this is in Luke's gospel? Jesus does a bit of teaching here on demons and expelling them. Some in the crowd say that he casts out demons by the power of demons. Jesus shows how ridiculous that is by pointing out that a house divided against itself could not stand.

The only clear reference that Jesus makes to tithing follows, "But woe to you Pharisees! For you tithe mint and rue and herbs of all kinds, and neglect justice and the love of God; it is these you ought to have practiced, without neglecting the others." Luke 11:42 NRSV. Clearly Jesus thought tithing was a given, even though he desires justice and love of God more!

Finally today I am struck by Jesus indictment of the religious leaders of the day. He is very, very hard on them because they use the Word of God as a barrier to access to God. He holds his strongest anger and accusations for the religious leaders! I wonder where I am guilty of the same sin? Where do I block access to God by twisting and inflicting the Word of God? Lord help me to be like Jesus, holy and loving, loving and holy.

3 comments:

mw said...

And once again we see Jesus take off the gloves and spar a few rounds with the religious leaders.

I was knocked out once sparring a black belt during an intense training session. It hurt for a while, but I can't compare it to the feeling I had when I was convicted by the Holy Spirit for things I was doing in my life.

I learned a lesson from the knockout, and I learned some serious lessons from being convicted.

These leaders refuse to learn anything - instead they judge, plot and scheme to remove the "accuser" from their presence.

I don't ever want to hear the words "Woe to you, Mark."

My heart goes out to these leaders, though. They will never know the love I feel in my heart; the love of Jesus Christ.

"39 Then the Lord said to him, “Now you Pharisees make the outside of the cup and dish clean, but your inward part is full of greed and wickedness." (NKJV)

This pretty much says it all to me.

We can put on a show for other people, but the Lord searches and knows our hearts.

Search my heart, Lord, and know I love you.

What an amazing King.

Marshall Bailey said...

It's great to look through this sectoin and see all the red in my bible. Jesus has so many good things to say - and no one could really say something to him that would prove him wrong.
I like when he casts out demons. It seems clear that we need that in our lives a little too much sometimes.
In his short explanation of how to pray - he really gives us the idea of what we should do - not just HELP ME JESUS, but hey God, you're awesome, and I accept who you are and love you, please forgive me, and us.
How cool is that? Do we always pray with those things in mind?
Justice and Love of God - more important than money for the church. They must be pretty important.
It is really interesting what he did for those leaders. I think he would be equally as hard on religious leaders of today, and proabaly even political leaders also (one nation under Him right?). God loves us, and loves them also, but he knows they are using his words as a tool for power and might, so they must be doing the right things in his name. I guess I'd feel the same way if I were him.
Besides, look at how hard they were trying to be on him!?
Jesus is great!
Back to the hw.
God Bless,
Marshall

Beth Quick said...

So many things in this chapter I don't feel like I've noticed before.

27 While he was saying this, a woman in the crowd raised her voice and said to him, ‘Blessed is the womb that bore you and the breasts that nursed you!’ 28But he said, ‘Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and obey it!’

I really like this - it's not about Jesus' identity, his divinity - that's not the response Jesus seeks - instead, doing. obeying God. acting. the justice he speaks of in this chapter. that's the more blessed way, although it is always harder to act than to say (for me at least.)