Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Luke 3

I hope the opening of chapter 3 didn't hurt your neck. Look again and see the abrupt change of direction that Luke throws us. he begins by listing all of the powerful people of the day and their positions, but switches gears when he says, "the word of God came to John son of Zechariah in the wilderness." Luke 3:2b NRSV. I don't think it is an accident that Luke says, when all of these powerful important people were around, God spoke to a desert preacher named John - a nobody to the world, a somebody to God! It is still like that today. If we will humble ourselves, we are likely to hear from God, exalt yourself and ... not so much.

John the Baptists ministry was harsh and brief and effective! He accomplished all that God had purposed for him to do and likely did it in less than a year. Not the contract you or I would likely want to negotiate, but then God rarely negotiates with humans.

Luke's account of Jesus' baptism is brief, and is followed directly by the genealogy of Jesus. Notice the difference in Luke's genealogy to that written in Matthew. Matthew traces a good Jewish line all the way back to Abraham through David. Luke traces the same line but he goes back to David and Abraham right to Adam and end with God! i think I like Luke's better!

5 comments:

Marshall Bailey said...

Wow, what an interesting chapter. The beginning didn't really hurt my neck, but it hurt my head for a moment.
What's a tetrarch? That puzzled me a bit.
I really like your comments on this chapter, it helps make more sense of it.
I love the genealogy. You look at it at first and think WOW, that's a lot of people, I'll skip that - but it is truly interesting that they did all of this research to indicate where people came from. Was that more common back then? It seems now, even people who do genealogy only go back a few generations. This genealogy is quite long! Also, Sara and I were talking - it's interesting how everyone listed is a man, not a woman...what about all the women involved in this genealogy - including MARY - who had Jesus as a child?
hmmm
Great stuff guys, thanks!
Marshall Bailey

Pastor Bill said...

Hi Marshall,

A Tetrarch is a Greek term meaning "ruler of a quarter" for a holder of Imperial office under a Tetrarchy. It was applied earlier to rulers of minor principalities owing allegiance to Rome.

The matthew genealogy contains the names of women and it is odd given Luke's other tndency to include women that he doesn't here.

Bill

Dr. B.J. Norrix said...

Hey:

Don't miss the occasional scoundrel in the genealogy. All of us have a horse thief or two in our family tree . . . and Jesus has a few odd balls as well. : )

mw said...

I remember being a little nervous when I came to the altar and asked Jesus to take over my life.

That was under a calm, loving, music-filled morning.

I can't imagine meeting John in the woods or by the river and hearing his "in-your-face, smash-you-in-the-mouth" truth about sinners and repentance.

I picture John as an enormous man, clad in wilderness clothes, breathing fire and brimstone on all who came to him. (thank you for invading my mind, TV)

He was direct and to the point to all the people - regardless of their stature or ability to bring him harm.

He had a short time to prepare the world for Jesus' arrival, and he was not going to sugar-coat his approach or take a day off.

I wonder if I would have been brave enough to step forward and confess my sins and receive his baptism under those conditions.

I forget how easy we really have it today - so much information is available to us, the New Testament, many great mentors, teachers, preachers, etc.

It must have taken real men to come forward and face a "giant" under those conditions.

I wonder how I would have reacted.

Just another reason to thank God for placing me in this world at this time and in this place.

I need to remember daily that real men in history have faced death...and still do for the decision to follow Christ.

May I quit moaning when "things get tough" and focus on bringing God the glory He deserves.

My sacrifices don't even come close to the men and women who face death in the natural for choosing eternal life.

Praise God for His plan and His timing.

Beth Quick said...

I think John the Baptist must have himself been surprised by who Jesus turned out to be. The Messiah he describes and how Jesus actually comes and acts are so different. John's tone is so different from Jesus' - no wonder he later sends his disciples to make sure Jesus is the one. Still, I'd love to hear John calling the religious leaders a brood of vipers!