Thursday, April 17, 2008

Luke 10

After the success of the mission of the 12 Jesus sends out seventy "others" into the mission field. I think this implies people other than the disciples. It is also clear as he sends them that they are to completely depend on God as their provider and guide. It strikes me as I read this how often I turn away from ministry because every dollar is not accounted for and their is not an apparent groundswell of support. This text would encourage me to go where I am sent and trust god's provision!

When the 70 return they share the great success they enjoyed - even the demons obeyed them when they spoke Jesus name! Jesus reminds them to keep the main thing the main thing when he responds, "Nevertheless, do not rejoice at this, that the spirits submit to you, but rejoice that your names are written in heaven." Luke 10:20 NRSV. Regardless of the apparent success or failure of our earthly ministries, remember always that you belong to God - your name is written in heaven. Amen! He ends this discussion by reminding them (and I think us) that we are blessed to be seeing the wonders of God! Generations of faithful saints called out to God seeking what we often take for granted!

Verses 25-37 are rich text! If you'd like to hear them expounded, attend church this Sunday in Boonville (8:15, 10:15 or 11:30 AM, or Trenton at 4:00 PM and hear Lynn Lockwood preach on this text! Thanks Lynn!)

The Martha and Mary dichotomy haunts me. I tend to behave like Martha, not only working while I should be soaking in Jesus, but also resenting those that rest at his feet. And yet, someone needs to make lunch - right? Someone needs to get busy around here or, or, never mind. I know Jesus is able to supply all of my needs according to his riches in glory. So, I will rest at the feet of the savior today. I may need to be reminded later to trust God's provision and walk in grace.

4 comments:

Marshall Bailey said...

It is a really great text. I think about mission trips and what not - how much we have to say when we return from them. I remember all we had to say when we returned from the Congress on Evangelism in Nashville - so much praising God there, and a true fire was inside us for Christ. Then I think of returning from camp as a counselor. It seemed like Satan himself could have shown up at my door and I would have had no problem taking him on. The power of Jesus is evident every day, in all we do - and we always have the opportunity to do something about it. I think he reminds us of these opportunities in 25-37, the Good Samaritan Story. Most of us would look up to a priest, but he just walked on buy, as did the levite. But the Samaritan stopped, helped, and made sure further care would be given. Would we do that for someone we didn't know who is in need? I'd love to think so, but it's hard to say "for sure." Jesus would FOR SURE. Will someone help me when I'm in need? I'll always have my Jesus. Each one of us has had some "good Samaritan" come into our lives and change it for Good, and now we have Faith. With that in mind, I sure want to be a good Samaritan more in my life.
Good seg-way in to M+M + listening to Jesus.
Just as with the Samaritan story, there will always be other things to do and we'll want to "keep on walking" or "make lunch." Even now, with all this college work and work work and wedding planning, I know that I'm missing out on many golden opportunities to share the love of the Lord.
I hope to always rest at the feet of the savior.
God bless! Thanks for the updates!
Marshall Bailey

Pastor Bill said...

Hi Marshall,

Thanks for posting and keeping up with the reading - it looks like its just you and me this week!

I know just what you mean about coming back from missions/camp/spiritual retreat strong and ready for anything - then a week or so later I tend to bounce and need a fiend to remind me of who and whose I am!

We're having a blast down here, and I do appreciate your comments and faithfulness!

Bill

mw said...

"The harvest truly is great, but the laborers are few; therefore pray the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into His harvest." (NKJV)

This is another one of my favorite passages.

This one spent quite a while on my bathroom mirror and over the radio in my car.

I am amazed and honored that the Lord chose me to be one of his laborers.

I get excited about introducing my business team to people, knowing that we will be able to share the love and glory of God as we grow together.

The laborers truly are few - but I must say I see and hear more people confessing their faith today than I did five years ago.

Of course that could go back to the association principle!

Anyway, the Lord chose me even when I didn't deserve to be chosen...and I thank God for that day!

(Sometimes I feel like Paul... knowing I have so much to make up for)

Hoo Rah!

Beth Quick said...

“The kingdom of God has come near to you.” Whether the towns receive the disciples or no, the kingdom of God is coming. Whether we receive the message or no, the kingdom is coming.

And who is my neighbor? The lawyer can't even bring himself to say "The Samaritan" but instead, "The one who showed mercy." Interesting. Distancing himself even in knowing Jesus is right from relationship with a fictional Samaritan!

Mary and Martha - I struggle with Martha getting the short end of the stick in this story, but I keep focusing on "distracted." Not just doing some other job that needed doing. She was distracted. That has a certain sense/tone to it that helps me understand the point better.