Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Luke 18

Jesus is telling parables as chapter 18 begins. The first of the parables is used to instruct us on how we might pray. The King in the parable is accountable to no one – not man nor God, and yet as the poor widow persistently works on him he eventually gives her what she desires just to rid him of her pestering! Jesus uses this parable to encourage us to pray fervently.

In the next parable Jesus contrasts a Pharisee who is righteous in his own eyes and a tax collector that knows his own lack. Jesus tells the crowd that the sinner who is repentant will be received where the self-righteous person will not find favor in God’s eyes.

The crowds continue to be drawn to Jesus and he blesses the little children and tells the disciples not to prevent them from coming to him. A rich ruler comes to Jesus next and asks how he might be saved. Jesus engages him in a discussion of the law and the ruler says that he has kept all of the law since his youth. Jesus then presses even deeper. "There is still one thing lacking. Sell all that you own and distribute the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; then come, follow me." 23 But when he heard this, he became sad; for he was very rich.” Luke 18:22-23 NRSV. Some would say Jesus went from preaching to meddling. Jesus always gets in our kitchen – or involves himself in the deep places of our hearts. The disciples and all who hear the exchange become disheartened and begin to question if any can be saved. Jesus reassures them and us when he says what is impossible for people is possible for God.

Jesus continues to tell the disciples that his time with them is brief, that he must go to Jerusalem and be handed over to sinful men and be killed.

As they journey on past Jericho a blind man hears that Jesus is passing by and he calls out to Jesus for healing and for mercy. The crowds try to silence him but the man will not be silenced and calls out all the louder until Jesus stops and calls for the blind man to be brought to him. Jesus asks him an interesting question; “What do you want me to do for you?” It is interesting to me because it might seem obvious to us what a blind man would want from Jesus. It draws me into the question of my heart – “What do I want from Jesus?” What do you want from Jesus?

4 comments:

Marshall Bailey said...

Wow Bill - when you say I'll catch up when I get back, I guess you mean it! That's so awesome. Thank you!
Hope your trip went extremely well!
I think it's a great idea to continue to pray consistently and stuff. Sometimes, I think oh well I already prayed about it, but I know God wants to hear about it more often - plus it is good to see what's weighing on your heart.
The rich ruler is someone we can all relate to, I'm sure. I've not followed all the commandments since I was a little boy, as this man claims to have done. Yet even that was not enough, because he really was breaking one: he was serving to gods, God and money. That's a big no-no. What is it that we have that is keeping us from the Lord? Can you imaging being bold enough to go up to the Lord and say, "Hey buddy - I just wanted to make sure I've made the grade." ... I've done this a time or two with a professor before the semester is up - "Hey there, I just wanted to make sure I have everything in for the course." Just as in the class, we are "making the grade" in life. But this time, we have no progress reports, we have to keep striving for the goal, praising God constantly!
I wonder how those disciples felt when Jesus predicted his death. In good faith, I'm sure they were thinking "Hey man, don't worry, we got your back! We've seen you do miracles, no one can touch you!" But then, when the time came, we all know what happened...Crazy.
I was going to comment on that question that Jesus asks the blind man also. It really does seem like a "duh," but Jesus wanted to make a point of it - similar to when he asks the leper by the pool of Bathsheba if he wants to get well. What do I want from Jesus?
(Well man, I could go all day on that one). More importantly, I want to ask myself - "What can I do for Jesus?"
Glad to have you back guys! I've been refreshing this page all week!
God bless!
Marshall

Pastor Bill said...

Good points Marshall - I am sure they did think that Jesus was invincible - and he was! He gave himself for us. In one scripture he says "I lay my life down. . . no one can take it from me."

My "want" list can be rediculous, but my need list short. God really does provide all of our needs according tohis riches in glory.

Bill

mw said...

I am sometimes torn between this parable of praying fervently and begging.

I know I should pray and leave my "challenges" at the Cross, thank Him for blessing me and leave it in His capable hands.

I know the scripture on the absurdity of worrying...so I bounce between repeated prayers and speaking that I received them.

I get confused, but I am comforted by the fact that I know my Lord searches my heart and understands my sincerity.

Is there a line in the sand here?

Wow - I hope that made sense, PB.

"There is still one thing lacking..."

This verse is amazing. as I walk deeper with the Lord, He slowly reveals what is lacking in my Christian life so I can work on it.

I suppose if He revealed ALL of the areas I need to improve at once I would faint and die. :)

It is a process - and I am glad He is in control!

Hoo Rah!

Beth Quick said...

I never thought about the strangeness of Jesus' question to the blind man before. It is a good question - what do I actually want God to do for me? Why? Why not other things?

The camel/needle verse always gets my attention. Folk singer Hugh Blumenfeld has a great song called, I think, Camel Filters, related to this passage. Really cool.