Monday, April 7, 2008

Luke 2

The second chapter of Luke is probably best known for its use in Christmas pageants every year. I still hear Linus (from Charlie Brown) take the stage whenever I read these words. most of the memories that are churned to the surface for me with these verses involve warm thoughts, secure feelings, poinsettias and candle light.

The reality that Mary and Joseph were living through had nothing in common with my sentimental memories. Mary and Joseph were in a tough place, forced to travel late in her pregnancy of harsh terrain for a census by an occupying government. Mary, probably outcast from her family or at least with a sullied reputation gives birth to her firstborn in a manger because there is no room for them in proper housing. The first visitors are a band of outcasts - shepherds - that have received word from the angels that Messiah had been born. I don't imagine my wife would have been thrilled to see strange men peering in at her in these moments.

Some of the only information about Jesus' childhood is shared with us here. We see him in the arms of Simeon in the temple at time of his dedication. I can almost see the sainted old man swaying as he holds the baby Jesus up before his own eyes and prayerfully says, "Master, now you are dismissing your servant in peace, according to your word; for my eyes have seen your salvation, 31 which you have prepared in the presence of all peoples, a light for revelation to the Gentiles and for glory to your people Israel." Luke 2:29-32 NRSV. I can hear Anna's testimony to the one she has faithfully served and waited for.

The second chapter ends 12 years later where we see Jesus contending with the teachers in the temple. He can't understand why his mother was worried about his absence from the caravan of travelers heading home from Jerusalem. Didn't she know he would be in his fathers house? It is challenging to raise children. How challenging it must have been to parent Jesus of Nazareth.

7 comments:

Sara said...

I actually have some questions about today's readings. Verse four states that "Joseph went from the town of Nazareth in Galilee to the town of Bethlehem in Judea, the birthplace of King David. Joseph went there because he was a descendant of David." Then later in verse 11 it mentions David again saying "This very day in David's town your Savior was born - Christ the Lord!" I know that the bible mentions King David many times. Is this because prophecies are being fulfilled in these verses, or maybe that there is some significant symbolism because David was king and now Jesus will be king? Is there anything else that I should be getting out of the fact that they mention King David repeatedly?

Marshall Bailey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marshall Bailey said...

Hello Bill! I see that you wrote this bright and early so that you could catch me off guard. :-P. Hope everyone's week is starting off very well!
Wow Bill, great thoughts. This really is an interesting chapter, and it covers 12 years! That's crazy. I too have the same memories of Christmas and Peanuts. Interesting to think of this situation as how it really was for Mary and Joseph.
I have heard the "no room in the inn" passage talked about in regard to the fact that there was no room for Jesus in the world, and questioning whether that was still the case today. Do we have room in our Inn for Jesus? In these terms, the words "no room in the in" can be considered some of the saddest words in the bible.
I don't know much about giving birth, but I've seen it a few times in movies and Biology class. It looks painful and a lot of work, and these people we see now are in hospitals and medicated. She surely wasn't. It must not have been easy - especially considering how things must have been with her family and friends regarding this "scandal."
It's interesting to see that Mary and Joseph were surprised by Simeon's comments, because I thought they were already told all those things. I guess it's hard to put myself in their position.
Finally, I really enjoy the Jesus as a little boy passage. Lots of time passes before we see him again. There's such an emphasis on his birth, no emphasis on his 1-12th birthdays...Weird isn't it? If he lived today, we'd have video and stuff!
Him getting lost reminds me of the movie Home Alone. Oh, Uncle Frank is taking care of the child, don't worry about it. :-P However, if I were to be lost when I was 12, you would have found me at Radio Shack or CompUSA, trying to play with all the gadgets. Not Jesus, he's teaching the older people in the temple!
It must not have been easy to sit in for God as the parents of Jesus. Wow. Crazy to think about.
God bless,
Marshall Neil
P.S. - Sara is now doing this with us. I think she's doing a great job - she always says such good things, so I'm really glad she's putting in her thoughts (We're getting married in 109 days! :-).

Pastor Bill said...

Hi Sara

King David was the central character - along with Moses - of Jewish history. The prophesies and promises God made about David and his family line were the stuff of Messianic anticipation.

The new King would come from David's tree and would restore all that had been lost since David's glory days.

This is also a reason why the people of that day misread Jesus intentions and wanted a secular or earthly kingdom.

Bill

Pastor Bill said...

Hi Marshall,

Intresting thoughts on the delivery - and all this in what amounted to a cave. Amazing for the Lord of Glory to humble himself and come in this most unthreatening way and place to love his creation!

108 days - 125 days from today is the 25th anniversary of the day I met Shari at Aldersgate. We are praying for you both in these exciting days!

Bill

mw said...

"18 And all those who heard it marveled at those things which were told them by the shepherds. 19 But Mary kept all these things and pondered them in her heart." (NKJV)

I do not understand verse 19. Why would Mary "ponder them in her heart"?

And then again "51 Then He went down with them and came to Nazareth, and was subject to them, but His mother kept all these things in her heart." (NKJV)

I am missing something here, PB. Is there some significance to this? It seems important, since it was repeated.

It's your fault - your reading lessons force me to read AND meditate as I go - so now I "catch" more than I ever have before. :)

And by "fault" I mean you are a blessing to us.

Thank you, and may God continue to bless you and your family.

Beth Quick said...

The verses where Mary ponders things in her heart are some of my favorites in this birth narrative - I just picture Mary trying to soak everything in - she doesn't need to speak aloud or declare what she thinks - she's just soaking in the mystery of God's working in her life.

Of course, I always hear Grandpa's voice reading Luke 2 on Christmas when I read this - "and they were soar afraid."

Yes, Marshall, I agree - wish we had video of years 1-12, and then 12-30! Something! Interesting that the gospel writers didn't feel there was anything important enough to record in all those years...